Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.2 Jib  Bottom

• Anyone got any pics of how the jib is setup on the Nacra? The manual has insufficient data

Thanks
    R
  • R,
    It all depends on what you want.
    Do you have/envision roller furling?
    Do you want to be able to tension on the fly,(racing).
    Do you store mast up, or trailer & hoist the jib each day?
    The manual shows a pretty basic, but simple setup.
    Let us know YOUR specific way of sailing, & your boat setup.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Ed, I'm a trailer sailor, closest lake is over 1 hr away, no roller furling. From what I've read, 5.2 has a forestay, jib has zipper luff, I'm not too sure on how the jib is raised, looks like there is a block attached(?) to the mast to raise the jib? First Nacra, have owned/sailed H14T, H16, GCat 5.0, P16, P18, so am familiar with jib zipper luff, but the Nacra is a race machine and I'm not familiar with tensioning on the fly, is the block attached to the mast or is there a halyard involved to tension on the fly etc, etc. Will want to add a barber-haul setup for the jib.

Thanks for all you do for the sport of cat sailing!

R

Edited by the-renovator on Aug 27, 2015 - 11:40 AM.
  • I have a Nacra 5.2 and I'm getting it ready for the Katrina Memorial regatta on Saturday. It's on the trailer ready to roll so I can take some photos if you want. Give me a few minutes to snap a few.
  • http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r707/nickandscott/Nacra%205_2%20Jib%20Halyard1_zps21fyogos.jpg

The jib halyard is simply attached to the mast below the main mast tang. Raising the jib with the halyard does not seem to tighten the forestay (that is set when you raise the mast). On my Hobie 16, I remember I could tighten the forestay with the jib (the jib cable became the forestay).

Here's another photo:

http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r707/nickandscott/Nacra%205_2%20Jib%20Halyard%203_zpscp3bjbsi.jpg
  • OK, the standard setup is as Cook shows above.(click on his last photo to expand it).
    Do you have both Nacra manuals?
    If not, download them from this site.
    Unlike the Hobie, your jib should NEVER be taking the rigging strain. You will attach your forestay & shrouds, then tension the rig. Many do it by hanging in a harness & having a buddy re-pin a shroud.
    The factory rig for the jib consists of a halyard that is part line, & part wire rope,(note Cooks photo shows a block for cable vs regular line).
    Your jib halyard will run up the mast, with the wire portion running through the wire block that is shackled to the mast at the hound(obviously this must be done before raising mast), then back down.
    Unzip the long zipper on jib. Attach the shackle on end of halyard to the loop at head of jib. Now, put the jib on the forestay, & raise the jib, doing up the zipper as it raises.
    When done the jib will be attached to the forestay.(Item #55 in one manual, Step #27 in the other explains this).
    Since you trailer & setup, you will probable use the jib tack hangar. the hangar stays on rigging, you just slide the grommet in jib tack into slot & pin it.(photo 38 in older manual) If you are missing this part, PM, I have a couple.
    The jib is tensioned,(see photo 60, or item #29).
    I think the 5.2 used the same 3:1 system as the 5.7., looks like this;
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=74274&g2_serialNumber=6
    Note wire portion going to wire block near mast hound.Note block with becket attached to the end of wire portion.
    What the photo does not show clearly is;
    A): the line portion of halyard,(that you will stow in tramp pocket, or remove via sister clips once jib is full hoisted)
    B): That the halyard is tied to becket via a simple bowline, BUT, leave about a 20" "tail" when tying the bowline. After the jib is hoisted, this short "tail" is used to tension it.
    This tail will go down from the becket, & around a cheek block on the side of the mast, back up & through the block, then down into a jam cleat on the side of the mast.
    you just feed it as described,pull to whatever tension you want for the day, & cleat. You can adjust tension while sailing by simply uncleating & pulling more or less line & re-cleating.
    At the end of the day, undo jib tension line, undo tack from jib hangar, & as you let the jib down, unzip it. When all the way down, undo quick shackle at the head of the jib, & attach it somewhere so it's ready for next time.
    Let me know if this all makes sense. Once you do it a couple times it becomes a 1 minute job.

Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 27, 2015 - 07:32 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • So there are 2 options, fixed block attached to padeye just below mast hound, no tension on the fly, or running block to tension jib on the fly.

Thanks guys!!

R
  • No. If you use the factory setup, (fixed block attached to padeye just below mast hound), you can readjust tension. Just pull the tail out of the jam cleat at base of mast, tension as desired, then re-cleat.
    If you run the both ends of the halyard down the forestay, & cleat near the bridles, you have to get off the boat to adjust it, or hang a small block & run line back to front beam somewhere.
    I have roller furling, & never adjust tension while underway.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Edchris177I think the 5.2 used the same 3:1 system as the 5.7.,

My 5.2 does not use the 3:1 system. It is a simple block at the mast connection below the main tang, then a wire/rope halyard running through this single block. After raising the jib, I cleat the rope to the bottom of the mast and store the excess in a pouch made into the trampoline. There is no need for the extra purchase of a 3:1 system since you are not tightening the forestay with the jib as you would on a H-16 system. My jib is not furled, it is the standard zipper system.

Good luck!
  • Here is a photo of the sails up. You can see the top of the jib to give you and idea of how it is rigged. The wire cable and rope are significantly weaker than the forestay which holds the mast up. The halyard is for sail tension only.

http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r707/nickandscott/Jib%20Up_zpsbbkswmqn.jpg
  • QuoteMy 5.2 does not use the 3:1 system. It is a simple block at the mast connection below the main tang

Good point.
    That's a nice suit of sails!
    We used to hike/camp with an old Swede, back home in the Rockies. His favorite expression when things went right was, "we're cookin' with gas now" (natural gas was so prevalent & cheap in Alberta that our gas driveway lights were never turned off)
    Lets be honest, these are 30+ year old boats. You have new sails, I don't,& I think rennovator also has sails that nearly predate T-Rex.
    The block at the mast hound gives you 2:1. Nacra talks about changing tension, or, for recreational sailing, just pulling the wrinkles out & leaving it.
    After I converted the 5.7 to roller furling, I did away with the 3:1, & just use 2:1, via the bloxk that is attached to the swivel. I bring the halyard back down inside the luff, & cleat it to a clamcleat attached just above the drum. Quick, simple, no knots to untie.

Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 28, 2015 - 09:22 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Evil looking sails. Hope you don't run into Captain Philips icon_wink
  • Nice sails cookwithgas.

I'll have my boat setup tonight, I'll try to snap a pic of the 3:1 for you.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.