Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

CA Tri point  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Tri point is coming up on the 15th...get those entries in!

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • anyone in need of crew? May also consider towing my boat there....shoot me a PM. Marek

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • looks like I need crew.......wife cant make it due to work.....we can sail your boat or mine (nacra 5.8).. if interested call my cell # 951 326 9637
  • As of today there are 8 beachcats registered. Yahoo!
    It's gonna be a shootout at 1120 hours next Saturday.
    Up Up Up!!! No barging!!!
    Hold yer course, bilge-rat!

Ok. No more coffee for me today.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Don't follow me!!! I'm always over the line too early!!! Hope to see all of you guys soon. Bob Martinez

Edited by Dartman on Aug 06, 2015 - 12:32 PM.
  • When racing the Tri Point next weekend and you encounter one of these, what do you do?

http://photos.marinetraffic.com/ais/showphoto.aspx?photoid=312763&size=

A. Avoid it.

B. Avoid it all cost.

C. Stay as far away from it as I possibly can, past to aft with no less the 1/2 mile of distance between me and that ship at any time.

D. Stop where I am, drink some water, and that start again when it is well past.

E. Play chicken with it because Mr. Darwin is full of it, and I am determined to win this race.

F. Hell with it, I have the right away because I am a sailboat..

G. Answers A, B, C and D.

H.) Answers E & F , and I should probably update my life insurance policy.

Be safe out there next weekend kids, practice good situational awareness, and have fun... Gonna miss doing it this year..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • E ...it is a race :)

On another note a buddy of mine is looking to crew on a beachcat for the race ,anyone need crew?

Edited by onekiwi on Aug 08, 2015 - 08:46 PM.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    --
  • Well, it is a sailboat race right?
  • Nice one John, I can't imagine what those Pacific container ships look like on the water. The barges I see in the Gulf of Mexico are intimidating enough.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damon the most amazing thing about the container ships is how fast they move.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • And how much wind they block.
    In this race, the container ship will block your wind right about when you are directly in front of it. HMMMM... icon_eek
  • azcatAnd how much wind they block.
    In this race, the container ship will block your wind right about when you are directly in front of it. HMMMM... icon_eek

Get to close to the rear, and the wake will suck you in..... and then you'll have this to deal with

http://www.marineinsight.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Hapag-Lloyd.jpg

smfinleyDamon the most amazing thing about the container ships is how fast they move.

20 to 25 kts is the norm... they move along pretty good...

azcatWell, it is a sailboat race right?

I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, I'm Gonna Win This Race Because People Like Me

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • MMMM chopped liver..with a nice Chianti

You have to ask Bob how big they look

Edited by onekiwi on Aug 13, 2015 - 03:39 PM.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    --
  • 11 cats registered in two groups- spinnaker and non.
    Yahoo!
    Practice run today in 18 kts and 4 foot chop.
    Wet and wild!
    Beachcat white flag @ 11:20 tomorrow!

Edited by klozhald on Aug 15, 2015 - 03:32 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • tri point race was a blast ..... 1st I want to thank marek for sailing with me ( great guy even if he snores like a freight train ....lol ) ... I also want to say thank to all that showed up , what a great group of people !!!!!!! (everyone is so helpful) ..... there was a super nice guy named jim that took the time to make a taco dinner ( night before the race ) and im talking all kinds of tacos plus rice, beans and so much more !!!!!! thank you thank you jim ... your the man!!!!!
    as for the race my boat came in last .....lol .....but we saw a pod of dolfins that made are day.....

all I remember is that when we made it back to the dock after the race , I rolled on to the dock off the boat ( my legs and back were so freakin sore, thank god marek was there to pick me up so I could stand ..lol

I told myself and others I would never do that race again , BUT I woke up today thinkin I cant wait til next year to get out there and "THIS TIME " beat carl in that race ...lol

all in all ... thank you everyone
  • Jims taco night Is the bomb!!! Sorry I missed the trip pint this year guys, it truly is my favorite sailing weekend of the year!! Well.. Except rocky point for a week in October, .. And the fall series at Lake Pleasant with AYC. ... And the governors cup in December.... Oh, and leukemia cup and birthday regattas in January,... Oh damn I love spring sailing in rocky point too. ... OMG the GT300 was incredible.. ly long and I drank so much effing salt water that I puked every time I took a draw off my camelback, capsized 2 times, broke a spin pole, helicopter, frogman3 times wrong GPS landing coordinateS!! Can't wait to do it again!!.... Border run wind dies 10 miles from the finish and takes an additional 8 hours to finish the race at 12:30am .. Do it again in a heartbeat!!.. And Jims taco nite... Hell yea! I know about Jims taco night.
  • We all missed you Brett!!! We were fortunate to have great weather and wind, although I could have used another 5-10 mph!!! I think everyone had a great time and I also want to thank Jim for the fantastic food. I'm looking forward to seeing everybody next year for another exciting and memorable race. I would encourage sailors to become members of ASA or even Ventura Sailing Club for a nominal fee just in case PBYC enforces the racing guidelines about racers needing to be affiliated with a club to participate. Also, it would be great if all the catamaran sailors would participate in the after race get-together at PBYC for food, drinks and trophy presentation and thank them for putting on the race and graciously acceping the cat people as worthy participants!!! Bob Martinez, Dart 18
  • also I would like to say one more thing ...(IM SO SORRY I FORGOT YOUR NAME ) thank you to the guy that did the safety boat job......your the man too ......you spent so many hours at sea to make sure we were all safe.....I felt I was in good hands with you out there...... thank you sir !!!!!!
  • I had a blast with Tom on his Nacra 5.8.... made me rethink whether I need a boomless boat icon_biggrin ! Did we really come in last? I couldn't tell. Having that huge pod of dolphins spend 5 minutes racing with us while I was trapped out definitely made my day icon_lol icon_smile . Too bad Tom and I both were too lazy to bring our GoPros... icon_frown We felt like we were pounding the ocean - well except for the black hole behind Anacapa where everyone disappeared for what seemed like a million years... icon_evil The weather was awesome and after almost chickening out when we looked at the meager wind forecast the day before we were pleasantly surprised by mother nature the day of the race. So much for using Sailflow and Predictwind...

I am glad I got that dry suit end of last year....in the Pacific ocean it's the only way to stay on top of the temps of the Pacific ocean - unless your 25.

Tom and I flipped the boat Friday afternoon inside the jetty. Fortunately, a bunch of die hard jet skiers and swimmers helped us tow the boat off the rocks the current had pushed us into on to the other side where there was a small beach so we could right the boat back up. That made for another 40 minute interesting episode ...

Boy, Jims Taco spread the day before the race was awesome, thanks again Jim for having us join the gang icon_razz !

Also, thanks also to PBYC for organizing and letting us participate and for taking care of us and the great dinner after the race.

MBYC has a cat fleet here in San Diego so will try get in touch with those folks to see whether I can join one of their ocean races on my Prindle 19 some time.

Thanks for the reminder Bob, I just renewed my ASA membership icon_cool !

Edited by marekli on Aug 17, 2015 - 11:32 AM.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • What makes racers come back to the Tripoint? Az gang always comes; Big Bear group is growing as is Dago & Isabel. IT'S THE WIND!!! Forget predictions, it always has wind in mid-Aug. Close reach starboard start in 8-10, building to 10-12 single trap working to the island with a container ship thrown in for worry. And we never had a screaming reach behind the island before nor a 1 mile completely dead zone. Finally a slow beat to the West end before setting up for a vicious 15 mile reach in 15-18 with 4-5' waves that just grind you down. On my boat at least we always say "never again" Said it 3 years now. Funny how it changes at the harbor docks in the warmth of the afternoon sun. 3 1/2- 4 hrs is about right for a drag race. Already tuning the boat for next year! Pete

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.