Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Do you need carry a paddle?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Now that weather is warm there will be more boats around. I'm trying to minimize the amount of tasks dealing with this boat. So far there's the righting pole, cooler bag lashed to the tramp. Do you really need a paddle? How far can you paddle anyway. I don't expect to be sailing when it is calm, although calm could come when it is least expected. Can I leave the paddle at home?

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Yes you need a paddle. Preferably 2. Paddling Is surprisingly effective, cats have little draft and resistance so you can make decent progress just sitting on the front beam paddling. Take it from a person who has been stranded a few times when the wind suddenly quit in him, you will be happy you have it. Just get a couple of cheap extending paddles and lash them to the tramp lacing (even underneath the tramp nice and tight) and forget them.

http://www.murrays.com/01-1303.html

https://www.menards.com/main/mobile/tools-hardware/automotive-marine-hardware/boat-covers-accessories/paddle-boat-hook-telescoping/p-1761453-c-12524.htm

http://m.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Telescoping-Mini-Paddle/product/52474/

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • ~~~ A PADDLE,,, A PADDLE he says... A good sailor shouldn't need a paddle. Drop & roll up your sails, push em to the side, angle your rudders at 45 degree, and go ''back & forth'' You''ll make it. I did... 3 miles. If you have to change your heading,, ''slowly'' move your rudder to one ''of'' the sides, then ''quickly'' pull or push your ''tiller bar'' for the direction you have to go and 'hold it' and let it turn some. You might have to do it again.
    Theres a name for this, I think it's called SKEGGIN or something like that icon_confused

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • yes carry a paddle.

if a storm cloud pops up close to you it can suck up all the energy (wind) for hours
    i added some bungie to the front hull lips on my h18 and stored my paddle up there on the bow - was never in the way, was always available

QuoteA good sailor shouldn't need a paddle
    - sorry popeyez - i couldn't disagree more - like a boyscout, a good mariner is always prepared
  • Sculling, that's what it's called, is ok but it eats up your steering gear. I carry a paddle cause I don't want to be up the creek without one.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I toyed with the idea of a righting pole/ sculing oar pole but went with fiberglass antennae pole instead. So with paddle I have 2 items to attach to boat, the reason I asked if paddle was needed. I do think sculing oar plus some type of oarlock could serve a dual purpose. The cost of long wooden oars are keeping me from doing that option.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113738&g2_serialNumber=4

I've rigged the boat to towing, so if I'm too far afield when needing a paddle I could always call for possible tow.
    So I'll keep towing the paddle...

Edited by goodsailing on May 25, 2015 - 02:19 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Always carry a paddle. You just never know when you'll need it. Get a telescoping one if you want. The most my crew and I have paddled is 11 nm, miserable, but it got us to the wind!

--
    Phil W
    Nacra 570
    Victoria BC
    www.mausails.com
    --
  • very inexpensive telescoping paddle at walmart, they carry other boating supplies usually for much less than west marine eg plugs. now a moment to vent. you must carry/wear life vests, i wear a water ski belt and keep an xtra vest on board besides one on every sailor on board. xtra vest can be used to tie to top of mast to prevent turtle when righting or to throw to mate overboard when i brought this up approx 2 yrs ago there were no comments, however recent news reports indicate the loss of 4 mono hull sailors who neglected to wear life jackets a few weeks ago. i lost a mast over 5 miles offshore in the atlantic the paddle helped me as did the currents, the vest helped save the mast-kept it afloat til i pulled it on board
  • Quotevery inexpensive telescoping paddle at walmart, they carry other boating supplies usually for much less than West Marine eg plugs. now a moment to vent. you must carry/wear life vests, i wear a water ski belt and keep an xtra vest on board besides one on every sailor on board. xtra vest can be used to tie to top of mast to prevent turtle when righting or to throw to mate overboard when i brought this up approx 2 yrs ago there were no comments, however recent news reports indicate the loss of 4 mono hull sailors who neglected to wear life jackets a few weeks ago. i lost a mast over 5 miles offshore in the atlantic the paddle helped me as did the currents, the vest helped save the mast-kept it afloat til i pulled it on board

We know to wear pfd's. But you paddled 5 miles in the open ocean with the mast on the deck. Holly Mackerel. You're my hero.... icon_cool I tie an inner tube to the mast top for now not knowing if my mast will sink or not. It has been sealed.

Edited by goodsailing on May 26, 2015 - 08:32 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • i dont care for any walmart boating products - they suck
    also the collapsible paddle will eventually fail, i recommend a solid one

I have paddled 3 miles with no wind.. not fun but also not a big deal

and btw - coast guard regs REQUIRE every boat to carry 1 pdf per person AND 1 throw-able .... just fyi
  • Quoteand btw - coast guard regs REQUIRE every boat to carry 1 pdf per person

Same here in Canada, BUT, those Jurassic Park water ski belts do not constitute a PFD. They have been illegal here for over 30 yrs.
    The make finding a body easier, but if you were to crack your noggin in a pitchpole they only ensure that they kkep your butt up, & your head underwater.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Quotei dont care for any walmart boating products - they suck
    also the collapsible paddle will eventually fail, i recommend a solid one

+1
    Sculling oar/ righting pole I think is the ticket for this type of boat provided you could find a way to attach the oarlock to the rear xbeam without interfearing with the traveler car. This way you'd have a stick for two purposes. Hmmmm You could also use the boat as fishing platform for non windy days without the mast.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteSculling oar/ righting pole I think is the ticket for this type of boat provided you could find a way to attach the oarlock to the rear xbeam without interfearing with the traveler car.

your on the wrong boat
    go buy a rowboat
  • d

Edited by goodsailing on May 28, 2015 - 12:14 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • I have my sailmaker sew a pocket (10" wide by 6") to the bottom of the tramp, opening facing fwd, that I can slip the blade of the paddle into. It's located back from the front beam the length of the paddle, close to the port hull, so the head of the paddle protrudes forward of the beam about 2", just enough to wrap a bungie around, to secure it in the V formed by the beam and dolphin striker strap/rod, just inboard of the port hull.
    Completely out of the way, yet quickly deployed when needed in a hurry, by whipping off the bungie, and sliding it forward. Saved my ass a few times.......

Dave
  • Quote oar, mast, gin pole, righting pole.... spinaker pole that thinking creatively you could eliminate a pole or two.

you don't sail with a gin pole on board, you can carry a righting bag (in a pocket on the tramp), you don't have a spinnaker .... your making things more complicated than just about any other cat sailor i have ever met

just take off the mast, and throw a giant v8 on back and your all set
  • prost
    QuoteQuote
    oar, mast, gin pole, righting pole.... spinaker pole that thinking creatively you could eliminate a pole or two.

you don't sail with a gin pole on board, you can carry a righting bag (in a pocket on the tramp), you don't have a spinnaker .... your making things more complicated than just about any other cat sailor i have ever met

just take off the mast, and throw a giant v8 on back and your all set

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • I keep a full size paddle with the blade tucked into the rear beam
    accessible to me without moving at all

very helpful when stuck in the lea of an island or if i have miss-judged my landing on a beach by a few inches and need a little more propulsion to land

I have a collapsible in a hatch for my crew (if i have any) or another skipper if needed

Edited by MN3 on May 28, 2015 - 09:15 AM.
  • d

Edited by goodsailing on May 28, 2015 - 12:13 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteI did not have a paddle to get back to shore. Reason: there's really no place to put a paddle on a laser.

When I raced lasers in the 70s I and a number of the other sailors carried the following with a tether on it in the event of a capsize http://www.sailingproshop.com/Images/images/Ronstan/praddle2790.jpg

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.