Do you need carry a paddle?

Now that weather is warm there will be more boats around. I'm trying to minimize the amount of tasks dealing with this boat. So far there's the righting pole, cooler bag lashed to the tramp. Do you really need a paddle? How far can you paddle anyway. I don't expect to be sailing when it is calm, although calm could come when it is least expected. Can I leave the paddle at home?

--
Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
H18 (Sold 7/15)
Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
Balt-Wash Area
--
Yes you need a paddle. Preferably 2. Paddling Is surprisingly effective, cats have little draft and resistance so you can make decent progress just sitting on the front beam paddling. Take it from a person who has been stranded a few times when the wind suddenly quit in him, you will be happy you have it. Just get a couple of cheap extending paddles and lash them to the tramp lacing (even underneath the tramp nice and tight) and forget them.

http://www.murrays.com/01-1303.html

https://www.menards.com/main/mobile/tools-hardware/automotive-marine-hardware/boat-covers-accessories/paddle-boat-hook-telescoping/p-1761453-c-12524.htm

http://m.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Telescoping-Mini-Paddle/product/52474/

--
Dave Bonin
1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
--
~~~ A PADDLE,,, A PADDLE he says... A good sailor shouldn't need a paddle. Drop & roll up your sails, push em to the side, angle your rudders at 45 degree, and go ''back & forth'' You''ll make it. I did... 3 miles. If you have to change your heading,, ''slowly'' move your rudder to one ''of'' the sides, then ''quickly'' pull or push your ''tiller bar'' for the direction you have to go and 'hold it' and let it turn some. You might have to do it again.
Theres a name for this, I think it's called SKEGGIN or something like that icon_confused

--
~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
and other toys.......
~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
--
yes carry a paddle.

if a storm cloud pops up close to you it can suck up all the energy (wind) for hours
i added some bungie to the front hull lips on my h18 and stored my paddle up there on the bow - was never in the way, was always available

QuoteA good sailor shouldn't need a paddle
- sorry popeyez - i couldn't disagree more - like a boyscout, a good mariner is always prepared
Sculling, that's what it's called, is ok but it eats up your steering gear. I carry a paddle cause I don't want to be up the creek without one.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
--
I toyed with the idea of a righting pole/ sculing oar pole but went with fiberglass antennae pole instead. So with paddle I have 2 items to attach to boat, the reason I asked if paddle was needed. I do think sculing oar plus some type of oarlock could serve a dual purpose. The cost of long wooden oars are keeping me from doing that option.
http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113738&g2_serialNumber=4

I've rigged the boat to towing, so if I'm too far afield when needing a paddle I could always call for possible tow.
So I'll keep towing the paddle...

Edited by goodsailing on May 25, 2015 - 02:19 PM.

--
Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
Balt-Wash Area
--
Always carry a paddle. You just never know when you'll need it. Get a telescoping one if you want. The most my crew and I have paddled is 11 nm, miserable, but it got us to the wind!

--
Phil W
Nacra 570
Victoria BC
www.mausails.com
--
very inexpensive telescoping paddle at walmart, they carry other boating supplies usually for much less than west marine eg plugs. now a moment to vent. you must carry/wear life vests, i wear a water ski belt and keep an xtra vest on board besides one on every sailor on board. xtra vest can be used to tie to top of mast to prevent turtle when righting or to throw to mate overboard when i brought this up approx 2 yrs ago there were no comments, however recent news reports indicate the loss of 4 mono hull sailors who neglected to wear life jackets a few weeks ago. i lost a mast over 5 miles offshore in the atlantic the paddle helped me as did the currents, the vest helped save the mast-kept it afloat til i pulled it on board
Quotevery inexpensive telescoping paddle at walmart, they carry other boating supplies usually for much less than West Marine eg plugs. now a moment to vent. you must carry/wear life vests, i wear a water ski belt and keep an xtra vest on board besides one on every sailor on board. xtra vest can be used to tie to top of mast to prevent turtle when righting or to throw to mate overboard when i brought this up approx 2 yrs ago there were no comments, however recent news reports indicate the loss of 4 mono hull sailors who neglected to wear life jackets a few weeks ago. i lost a mast over 5 miles offshore in the atlantic the paddle helped me as did the currents, the vest helped save the mast-kept it afloat til i pulled it on board

We know to wear pfd's. But you paddled 5 miles in the open ocean with the mast on the deck. Holly Mackerel. You're my hero.... icon_cool I tie an inner tube to the mast top for now not knowing if my mast will sink or not. It has been sealed.

Edited by goodsailing on May 26, 2015 - 08:32 PM.

--
Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
Balt-Wash Area
--
i dont care for any walmart boating products - they suck
also the collapsible paddle will eventually fail, i recommend a solid one

I have paddled 3 miles with no wind.. not fun but also not a big deal

and btw - coast guard regs REQUIRE every boat to carry 1 pdf per person AND 1 throw-able .... just fyi
Quoteand btw - coast guard regs REQUIRE every boat to carry 1 pdf per person

Same here in Canada, BUT, those Jurassic Park water ski belts do not constitute a PFD. They have been illegal here for over 30 yrs.
The make finding a body easier, but if you were to crack your noggin in a pitchpole they only ensure that they kkep your butt up, & your head underwater.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
Quotei dont care for any walmart boating products - they suck
also the collapsible paddle will eventually fail, i recommend a solid one

+1
Sculling oar/ righting pole I think is the ticket for this type of boat provided you could find a way to attach the oarlock to the rear xbeam without interfearing with the traveler car. This way you'd have a stick for two purposes. Hmmmm You could also use the boat as fishing platform for non windy days without the mast.

--
Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
Balt-Wash Area
--
QuoteSculling oar/ righting pole I think is the ticket for this type of boat provided you could find a way to attach the oarlock to the rear xbeam without interfearing with the traveler car.

your on the wrong boat
go buy a rowboat
d

Edited by goodsailing on May 28, 2015 - 12:14 PM.

--
Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
Balt-Wash Area
--
I have my sailmaker sew a pocket (10" wide by 6") to the bottom of the tramp, opening facing fwd, that I can slip the blade of the paddle into. It's located back from the front beam the length of the paddle, close to the port hull, so the head of the paddle protrudes forward of the beam about 2", just enough to wrap a bungie around, to secure it in the V formed by the beam and dolphin striker strap/rod, just inboard of the port hull.
Completely out of the way, yet quickly deployed when needed in a hurry, by whipping off the bungie, and sliding it forward. Saved my ass a few times.......

Dave
Quote oar, mast, gin pole, righting pole.... spinaker pole that thinking creatively you could eliminate a pole or two.

you don't sail with a gin pole on board, you can carry a righting bag (in a pocket on the tramp), you don't have a spinnaker .... your making things more complicated than just about any other cat sailor i have ever met

just take off the mast, and throw a giant v8 on back and your all set
prost
QuoteQuote
oar, mast, gin pole, righting pole.... spinaker pole that thinking creatively you could eliminate a pole or two.

you don't sail with a gin pole on board, you can carry a righting bag (in a pocket on the tramp), you don't have a spinnaker .... your making things more complicated than just about any other cat sailor i have ever met

just take off the mast, and throw a giant v8 on back and your all set

--
Randy Neubauer
Apple Valley, MN
2001 H18M
--
I keep a full size paddle with the blade tucked into the rear beam
accessible to me without moving at all

very helpful when stuck in the lea of an island or if i have miss-judged my landing on a beach by a few inches and need a little more propulsion to land

I have a collapsible in a hatch for my crew (if i have any) or another skipper if needed

Edited by MN3 on May 28, 2015 - 09:15 AM.
d

Edited by goodsailing on May 28, 2015 - 12:13 PM.

--
Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
Balt-Wash Area
--
QuoteI did not have a paddle to get back to shore. Reason: there's really no place to put a paddle on a laser.

When I raced lasers in the 70s I and a number of the other sailors carried the following with a tether on it in the event of a capsize http://www.sailingproshop.com/Images/images/Ronstan/praddle2790.jpg

--
Randy Neubauer
Apple Valley, MN
2001 H18M
--
QuoteWhen I raced lasers in the 70s I and a number of the other sailors carried the following with a tether on it in the event of a capsize

Looks like fin. You mention capsize. How is this used: propulsion or sticking on the daggerboard for leverage to right boat?

Edited by goodsailing on May 28, 2015 - 10:54 AM.

--
Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
Balt-Wash Area
--
Paddle with your boom then...
QuoteLooks like fin. You mention capsize. How is this used: propulsion or sticking on the daggerboard for leverage to right boat?

Goodsailing you always have to have the last word and be correct....you are an idiot!

Edited by NeubaurRL on May 28, 2015 - 11:49 AM.

--
Randy Neubauer
Apple Valley, MN
2001 H18M
--
I never saw that before the reason I asked the question.

Edited by goodsailing on May 28, 2015 - 12:21 PM.

--
Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
Balt-Wash Area
--
Does anyone know what that thing is?

Edited by goodsailing on May 29, 2015 - 01:44 AM.

--
Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
Balt-Wash Area
--
The topic of this thread is "paddle", figure it out or do a web search

--
Randy Neubauer
Apple Valley, MN
2001 H18M
--
Neubaur, I've seen someone use one. It was a while ago. I think it is a one-handed paddle designed to be dragged through the water front to back. It braces against your arm for the power stroke and folds back for the return. Works only if you are low on the water as you would be on a laser. Modern cat hulls would probably be too high off the water for this to be effective. Not sure though, maybe it could work, but I prefer a Canadian style canoe paddle.
Yes, works exactly as you describe. It is actually called a praddle, used it years ago with a Laser, allows you to paddle with one arm and steer with the other. I carry two standard paddles one under each wing tramp and a bungee cord to hold the tiller straight while paddling.

--
Randy Neubauer
Apple Valley, MN
2001 H18M
--
QuoteThe topic of this thread is "paddle", figure it out or do a web search

I ought to know, I started the thread. But since you talked about this device in reference to capsizing, you kinda threw me as I had no idea what you were talking about. I never paddled anywhere when I capsized a Laser. ??????? I did do a google search but not even knowing what it was called or used for I gave up after nothing found.

NO need to rail at someone who asks you to clairify your posts. We're not mind readers. Thanks for the additional info you provided to Dennis, in lue of simply stating the same when I asked the question.

Having a great day.

--
Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
Balt-Wash Area
--
I bought a cheap Walmart extendable handle paddle with a small blade. I hide it stuffed into the centre lacing on the the underside of the tramp on my Nacra 5.5, with a little tie off so it cant move. I used it last weekend, and as someone else stated, paddling a cat from the front beam while someone steers, is surprisingly efficient. We were moving along a decent pace. I was surprised. The paddle seems very well built (made in the USA from memory). Mine is bright orange. Don't think I'll leave home without it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip…pic-Mini-Paddle/16606474

Edited by sierracat on May 29, 2015 - 04:38 PM.

--
Tom
Nacra 5.5 Uni
(actually a chopped down 18sq)
(soon to be 5.5 sloop)
Northern California
--
QuoteNO need to rail at someone who asks you to clairify your posts. We're not mind readers. Thanks for the additional info you provided to Dennis, in lue of simply stating the same when I asked the question.

A lot of your responses come back sounding like a know-it-all smart a$$ and even my 55 lb daughter was able to right a laser and as a sailor you've never heard of someone hooking something on to their centerboard to right it

--
Randy Neubauer
Apple Valley, MN
2001 H18M
--
QuoteA lot of your responses come back sounding like a know-it-all smart a$$ and even my 55 lb daughter was able to right a laser and as a sailor you've never heard of someone hooking something on to their centerboard to right it

After reading that, I know I'm smarter than you. Better re-read it Neuby. You seem confused about what we're talking about. You posted a picture of a PRADDLE as you called it, yet talked about righting a Laser with it? Or paddling a Laser while the Laser is capsized. Again you talk about righting a boat. Then when your asked to clarify your statements you get your shorts up your a$$, when all you had to do was simply clairify.

Let me help you: stop talking about capsizing and righting boats. This conversation is about taking a paddle along. You told us how you carry paddles. Do you have anything more constructive to add to the conversation?

Edited by goodsailing on May 30, 2015 - 06:29 PM.

--
Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
Balt-Wash Area
--
NeubaurRLYes, works exactly as you describe. It is actually called a praddle, used it years ago with a Laser, allows you to paddle with one arm and steer with the other. I carry two standard paddles one under each wing tramp and a bungee cord to hold the tiller straight while paddling.

Sounds worth a try, solo paddling is not easy
QuoteI bought a cheap Walmart extendable handle paddle with a small blade. I hide it stuffed into the centre lacing on the the underside of the tramp on my Nacra 5.5, with a little tie off so it cant move. I used it last weekend, and as someone else stated, paddling a cat from the front beam while someone steers, is surprisingly efficient. We were moving along a decent pace. I was surprised. The paddle seems very well built (made in the USA from memory).

I don't know that brand, ... i hope it lasts you for years
I PERSONALLY have yet to find any walmart "marine" gear that lasts even a single season
MN3
I PERSONALLY have yet to find any walmart "marine" gear that lasts even a single season

Agree except I'm not sure I'd include paddles as "marine gear" that needs to be high quality. For decades I've carried two standard short wooden paddles, one under each wing in the lacing. I always mean to give them a new coat of varnish when they start to show their age but never get around to it, they still last 10 years or so.

Now that I'm trying sailing without wings for the first time I'll have to find a new way to carry at least one paddle. Very important for inland lake sailing where the wind can die completely in the summer at any time, especially near dusk when trying to get back after staying out just a bit too long.

When it comes to other marine gear like rope, shackles, bungees, and PFD's... NO But other marine gear like beer, ice, and cleaning supplies OK.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
the wooden paddles i bought from walmart ALL died the same death, they became dried and the sides split off
the collapasable (atwood) paddles i have purchased from both walmart and kmart all died the same way - they failed (broke in 1/2) at the worst possible time

I still carry a collapsible one, but it's a high quality one, and it's my spare, i use a heavy duty alum/plastic one as my main one
Damon, ditto. I have a small varnished wooden paddle that gets bungied to the boom. Not the greatest paddle in the world but it works.....

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad42/bcreamer/Sailing/AH18_zpsc7d2d3e4.jpg
Having a paddle is important enough to me to spend $20 (on sale) at West Marine for a quality 5-foot telescoping paddle. Every time I needed a paddle, I really needed it to work well. I have made do with porthole covers and other things, but having the right tool in a self-rescue situation is priceless.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
QuoteI have made do with porthole covers and other things, but having the right tool in a self-rescue situation is priceless.

I was beat to shore one time (about a mile). I had a paddle, the guy who beat me used his cooler lid... ugggg
MN3I was beat to shore one time (about a mile). I had a paddle, the guy who beat me used his cooler lid... ugggg

Could it have been what was in the cooler that fueled him?

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
klozhaldCould it have been what was in the cooler that fueled him?

haha, i'm sure it made his discomfort much less...