Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Most fuel efficient auto for towing H18  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• fxloopMore distance = Bigger car = lower mpg. Under 2-3 hrs drive?

This is spot on.
    Used to drag my P18-2 around Europe behind a Mercedes E230. The mpg wasn't
    very good.
    That had to to with speed, I must admit. We mostly travelled at night doing
    1000 Km in 10 hours. Thats 62 mph average, including coffee stops.
    But thats Europe....
    https://myalbum.com/photo/2se3B95fhnCr/800.jpg
    Driving the combination trough Paris in rush-hour wasn't fun I can tell..

Nowadays I tow my T on a rented canting trailer for a 1,5 hour max with
    a VW golf mk5 stationwagon. The mpg is good and the ride is smooth.
    But this is Holland, the "flatlands", no steep hills whatsoever.

So, its simply down to your needs. Long-distance? Hills or mountains on
    your voyage? Any beach cat can be towed by an average family car.

Grtz, A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • I've done A LOT of towing with my 2005 manual Toyota Corolla S, F18 on a trailex, 750+ mile hauls 2-3 times a summer. Lacks power in the mountains, breaking and windage aren't major concerns however.Toyota rates the Corolla for a 1500 lb tow rating. I wouldn't do this with an automatic and I did have to replace my C59 transmission at 180,000 miles (bad bearings, known issue with this tranny even without towing). Dropped in a 6 speed manual and should be good to go for another 100,000+. I get 20-23mpg towing, 32 in the city and 36 on the highway.

At F18 nationals this past summer there was a team towing with a Chevy volt, plenty of low end torque.

My next ride will be a small SUV (the RAV4 v6 is a good choice, stopped making those in 2012 however), Xterra a good option but they are pricey and not the most comfortable for long haul trips; Acura RDX starts looking pretty good. My vote for the suv is simply for the power and ride comfort. I would go for a v6 Camry but they aren't tow rated, closest thing is a Toyota Venza. Verdict is out on CVT reliability but if you aren't buying a European designed and built car the auto tran is likely better engineered and more reliable than the manual.
  • I second the Toyota Corolla. It's rated at 1500 lbs. Gets relatively good gas millage while doing so. And when not hooked can get 35 hwy. Just don't over load it, watch your speed and you'll get there. Otherwise, my Expedition does a fabulous job.

--
    Nacra 5.8 NA &
    Nacra 4.5
    Hobie Wave sold
    '05 Getaway sold
    Hunter 216 traded
    Windrider 17sold
    Hobie 18 M sold
    Hobie 18, sold
    RS Vision sold
    "life's too short for slow boats"
    --
  • I use a Nissan Quest to tow my H16. Gets good gas mileage, plenty of room and comfort, and power from a V6.

Edited by martyr on Feb 12, 2017 - 11:08 PM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • If you need a new daily driver/commuter car, the Corolla is a hard one to beat. I wouldn't recommend it for regular towing and for trips over 4 hours towing, its just not that comfortable and you have to be 100% on driving when towing, but for short trips to the beach in the summer etc. its very hard to beat.
  • I have a 2006 Ford diesel E350 van and get 72mpg.

Well actually, I get 12mpg, but I'm towing a trailer that holds 6 A-cats at a time. When you split the fuel cost 6 ways, it comes out to 72mpg... icon_wink

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4037474/A-cats.jpg

Edited by mikekrantz on Feb 13, 2017 - 11:26 AM.
  • thanks for all the suggestions..that's quite a few relevant models that I will look at.

It's funny, we already have 2 Corolla's in the family, maybe I use one of those. Yeah, gas mileage is yuuuuugee. I was going to hand my Corolla down to one of my college sons and get something that could replace my towing truck and commuter corolla but maybe I just get my son another Corolla or Honda Civic. I grew up driving manual and still prefer them except on my commute. The concern with small light commuters are obviously handling on steep and/or slippery launch ramps and transmission wear. My commute is 20mi stop-and-go traffic...Tundra is about 15mpg. I bike commute a couple of times which saves some gas but still don't like the idea of using the Tundra for commuting in stop-and-go traffic.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • martyrI use a Nissan Quest to tow my H16. Gets good gas mileage, plenty of room and comfort, and power from a V6.

I have used a Quest, Odyssey, and now a Caravan to tow comfortably 700 miles at a time in extreme desert heat. With a V6 you will have no power issues and can keep lots of gear inside with you.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I think you could use a Corolla, but it is a very light car. I use a 2009 Camry with the 4 cyl 2.4L engine and it has no problem towing on the interstate or launching the Nacra 5.7. The boat has been across the country several times, usually behind a Jeep Cherokee. Just make sure your trailer bearings are up to the task, the rest should be easy.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • RAV4's are built on Corolla frames. Highlanders are built on Camry frames. The more towing-ready models do have transmission intercoolers. Neither are required for short towing. Yes, steep ramps are painful on clutches, but I really don't get why you would launch a beach catamaran directly off a trailer. Its far better for your clutch, transmission and trailer frame and trailer bearings to remove boat, put on beach wheels, insert into water. To each his own I guess.

I would take a close look at the Acura RDX, the newer models are powered by a V6 and cost less than $30k used. Trouble is anything with a 6 or 8 cylinder engine just isn't good on gas mileage, the RDX gets 20 in the city and 28 on the highway. Your 4 cylinder SUV's don't leave much power for towing because its hauling around its own extra heft.

Tom, the 2009 Camry's have 1000lb tow ratings. The newer models don't have any tow rating, though I'm sure they would be just fine, you are just on the hook for anything that goes wrong. Doesn't make any sense to me, since the smaller, lighter, less powerful Corolla has a 1500lb tow rating.
  • QuoteI have a 2006 Ford diesel E350 van and get 72mpg.

haha - now that's fuzzy math Mike !
  • I used to tow a h16/18 with a honda accord 2.4
    then mystere 5.5 and 6.0 with a lexus 3.3
    just went back to a honda crv (same 2.4) - Reasons: i drive very short distances to sail (but often), this uni-body frame has proven to be strong enough, in this and the honda element for towing this size boat

there is LOTS of data online about towing
    when you read a car is rated to tow "X" - this is BS -
    do your research, your car has a max weight and axle weight you can't exceed these safely
    your tongue weight and tow weight is critical too... the way to figure out exactly is on google

modern suv's have CVT transmissions which have better mileage but not sure if that's better or worse for towing
    http://www.nissanmurano.o…7/179658-towing-cvt.html
  • I can lift and pull my catamaran on a trailer across a lawn...it sure as hell isn't a problem for any car to tow, although wind resistance can build up. I don't need to Google anything to know it's light enough not to exceed GVWR.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Samc99usI really don't get why you would launch a beach catamaran directly off a trailer.

Sometimes there is no beach - just a ramp, and if you don't have Cat Trax, you launch off the trailer.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Quote I don't need to Google anything to know it's light enough not to exceed GVWR.

your 2009 Camry with the 4 cyl 2.4 is "rated" at 1000lb towing
    again - this is a bs value... you have to include tongue weight, weight placement, and all cargo in the calculation of what you can tow at any given time

I'm not telling you it can't be done, it can be done and is done all the time

but it's not great on your transmission and you are possibly overloading your car's safe weight limits - thus making it less safe... and possibly increase your liabilities.

so if you have a steel trailer, and a 5.7+sail/gear... throw a full trunk of food, toolbxox, etc (maybe a person) and i bet you have exceeded your rating

If you (not specifically you Tom) tow a lot, or are close to your limits... I would consider looking into a trans cooler to lower the temp and extend the life

As a matter of fact, i did They are very cheap - but look like a byatch to install (at least for my crv - the instal video includes removing the bumper ... )

https://www.etrailer.com/…tml?vehicleid=2016753000

Edited by MN3 on Feb 14, 2017 - 08:01 PM.
  • If I was towing in the desert, I'd worry about it. Meanwhile, I have a 800 lbs including the trailer, and I maintain my transmission. No problem.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • QuoteI don't need to Google anything to know it's light enough not to exceed GVWR.

btw google tells me your vehicle IS over it's gcwr with your 800lbs of boat and trailer:
    Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 3836 (CURB WEIGHT: 3,263)
    Gross Combined Weight Rating 4413
    = 577 lbs of additional weight you can "safely" carry /tow (including humans, boats, coolers, tools etc)

YMMV

Edited by MN3 on Feb 15, 2017 - 02:03 PM.
  • How about a VW Dirty Diesel, nice low end torque, easy to upgrade the brakes if needed. Just a thought.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • I routinely tow a 15' skiff i built and occasionally a 17' cat with my 2014 6-speed, v6 mustang. Works better than most small SUV's, particularly at highway speeds. Manual transmission so no transmission shifting issues, brakes stay auto-engaged on steep ramps for easy starts, limited slip rear, 300+hp so no power issues, brakes are quite sufficient, and cost me a whopping$20k new. Only has the little v6, so it gets around 22mpg towing the cat.

A lot of people are terrified to tow a jet ski nowadays with anything less than a dually. I think it's hilarious. Compare European tow ratings for the exact same models, it's quite enlightening to see what manufacturers think is safe when they aren't trying to sell you a full-size truck.
  • MN3

If you (not specifically you Tom) tow a lot, or are close to your limits... I would consider looking into a trans cooler to lower the temp and extend the life

I would not recommend adding a trans cooler to a Camry to tow a basic catamaran rig..... Because it already has one... Toyota Part #53005. And, most states have a restricted limit of 55 MPH with a trailer and if you stay there or below 65, you'll be fine.

The failure will happen with the fluid breaking down and and not being looked after. With the fluid recommended change at 100K... there is room to work. Once the fluid goes from pink to burnt brown... that is the tell tail sign... at that point it is putting a strain of the transmission valve body and that is where the failure will occur.

The Camry is using the Toyota Trans #U241E.... this is the same tranny used on a number of other Toyota vehicles... it is pretty bullet proof. The problems they have had with these has been in the TCU (software) and the throttle position switch... again software.. not the mechanics...

Changing the transmission fluid on the Camry 2.4L is as easy as changing the oil... and recommend it at 30K miles if you're pulling a cat

Edited by JohnES on Feb 16, 2017 - 11:44 AM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.