Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Where to go in Mexico or Caribbean for a good cat sail.  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• My wife is having an incremental birthday (30,40,50) this spring and we are thinking of taking a February or March trip south to do some beach walking and cat sailing.

Most of the all inclusive resorts have a Wave or Getaway which are fine. But what I do not want is to get there and have to sign up for a class or be limited on how long I can go out. I want to bring my cooler, gloves, jacket and hopefully harness and go play for a few hours and come back.

So, oh great forum where have you gone and where would you go again. In short we can all do a ton of web surfing but unless you have experience please do not comment. I need the real truth. We are not highly in need of super luxury, just clean, safe, decent food, cheap booze and a boat on the beach is all we really need. I would prefer not to have 5000 people there either. We did a week in Mexico at a huge resort and it was ok but not great and no cat on the beach. Thanks in advance. Ricardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • Went to the Sandals Grande in Antigua in April a few years ago [http://www.sandals.com/main/antigua/an-home.cfm] - as part of the all inclusive deal they had 3 Hobie Waves sitting on the beach, all day everyday, looking for someone to take them out...not sure what they would say if you disappeared over the horizon for a few hours...

--
    Virginiasailor
    Prindle 15
    --
  • I've been to the Caribbean about a dozen times for windsurfing and sailing. The place I have visited most is Club Med Turkoise, which I've been to 5 times. I am going back in 3 weeks and can't wait. It is my favorite place on earth. That being said, the cats are already rigged on the beach and ready to go. You can be sailing a minute or two after showing up. If you already know how to sail, the instructor may want to go out with you for 5 minutes just to show you the ins and outs of the place and maybe the boat itself, but that's it. I never had to wait for any boat being available nor any time restrictions placed on me when I sailed. I have only been there in the summer, but I'm told the winds are better in the winter, so we'll see.

The last time I was there (2 years ago) they had about a dozen Hobie cats of various models. I just got an email from them and this is their current Line-up:
    3 Hobie 16's
    2 Hobie Max's (18)
    5 Hobie Waves

I really like the all inclusive format. You don't pay for anything extra (unless you want to scuba dive) and even drinks are included. I hope this helps.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=101029&g2_serialNumber=4

Bill

--
    Bill
    Nacra 5.5 SL
    Redondo Beach, CA
    --
  • Here is a better representation of their fleet. This is early morning before all of the sails are rigged. They start sailing at 9:30 a.m. so they are all ready to go by then. Again, this was two years ago.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=101033&g2_serialNumber=4

Bill
    Redondo Beach, Ca.

--
    Bill
    Nacra 5.5 SL
    Redondo Beach, CA
    --
  • Club Med Turks and Caicos is that what you meant, damn auto complete LOL. Thanks for the info. Keep the info coming. Ricardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • I have sailed waves at Sandals Negril, Beaches Negril, Sandals Whitehouse and Sandals Grand St Lucian. All we great resorts with reasonable boats, would like to own and bring my own sail since they are all stretched out. I looked into Sunsail in the BVI which looked very sailing oriented, but never been there.

Only waited a couple times, never very long. Whitehouse even had a "regatta" one day so my brother and I could race the sailing staff. Had 5 or 6 waves "racing" around the bay. You had to stay in sight of the sailing hut, no harness possible but gloves where nice to have.

Also pitchpoled a wave and fell through the sail at Whitehouse. They came picked me up, took me back to shore and gave me a different boat to sail. 2 days later sail was fixed.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteI have sailed waves at Sandals Negril, Beaches Negril, Sandals Whitehouse and Sandals Grand St Lucian.
    My wife and I also love to sail in Jamaica...in fact we are going back to Sandals Montego Bay in about a month. They usually have about a half dozen Waves to use as do most resorts in the area. One caveat.....these boats have been sailed every day, sometimes for years and some are pretty beat up. But, it's January...86 degrees and we're sailing! Back home, you'd have icicles hanging from your privates!! I asked one of the managers why no higher performance boats like the Hobie 16 could be found and he said the fiberglass hulls get chewed up on the reefs surrounding the resorts by inexperienced sailors. The roto-molded Wave hulls take the abuse. Recently, I posted a video on youtube called Hobie Wave Sailing Jamaica http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq3cBj2zkSE that shows how much fun you can have on one of these Waves. One day my friend, Ed and I wondered how the resort boats found their way thru the reef, so we jumped on one of their snorkel trips to find out. On the way we noticed a pipe with a flag that marked a fifty foot pass out to open ocean driven into the reef. Back on shore I jumped on a Wave and went straight out past the reef. My wife said all you could see was the top third of the sail in the swells. It was GREAT! Cuba here we come! Well, the resort rescue people thought I was in deep doo and sent a boat out after me but by the time they got to the reef I was screaming past the pipe on a reach. As I went by I heard them yell "Don't go past the reef!" I hollered back "no comprende engles senor" they were not amused. The Activities Director was waiting for me on the beach when I got back and politely asked me not to do that again. He said that if they would lose a guest there would be no end to the paperwork! All-inclusives have become my favorite for the simple reason that you don't have to worry about food, booze, tips etc. You are somewhat limited in freedom of movement but when I have just a week of vacation I'm not going to waste beach time doing a lot of touring. I'll wait until I'm retired and can spend more time in-country. Have fun!
  • Been on a wave several times. We have one for the kids at our local yacht club, trying to convert some of the kids. They are indeed a fun and durable boat.

Would like to take the wife, it is her birthday and the wave will hold us but the getaway would be better keep the suggestions coming. Thanks Ricardo.

Edited by RicardOben on Dec 19, 2012 - 05:17 AM.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • La Paz is just the opposite of Cabo San Lucas, very few tourist. Varible wind in winter, but we like the northerlys best. Back bay is flat water, forebay has waves, dolphins, whale sharks. Have two P-16`s on beach, but we mostly landsail on the Mogote penninsula across from city front. Pete 909-800-5237
  • With the recent crap in Mexico I am leaning towards Jamaica. Any of the resorts have a getaway. The seven mile beach appeals to me (Negril). Keep the info coming.

SMfinley which did you like the best in Jamaica? Richard.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • With Mexico holding a United States Marine in jail, shackling him to a bed and trying to extort money from his family. I WILL NEVER GO TO MEXICO, BUY ANY PRODUCTS MADE IN MEXICO EVER AGAIN. It is just insane that we try and help them and this is what we get in return.
  • My favorite resort was Sandals Whitehouse. A little longer drive from Montego Bay then Negril, but a totally isolated tropical paradise. Negril is very nice. The Beaches Resort is amazing if you are taking kids of any age. When we go, we go for a week and rarely leave the resort, but never feel the need. When we were at whitehouse it felt maybe half full, but they told us it was at full capacity, seemed like they had twice the beach chairs as they had guests.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I will look more at White House. Totally uncharted territory for me, so much appreciated. Richard,.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • QuoteA little longer drive from Montego Bay then Negril, but a totally isolated tropical paradise. Negril is very nice.
    See, here's the thing about Negril. It's about a two hour trip (DO NOT rent a car....it is suicide on Jamaican roads) from the airport in MoBay. The same can be said about Ocho Rios. I hate spending any more time on the road than I have to. Stay as close to Mobay as possible...I recommend Sandals Montego Bay. Negril is beautiful but with winter wind predominatly from the East Northeast it is somewhat protected. Also, the sun goes down right in front of the resorts on 7-mile beach which makes for some spectacular sunsets but by 4:00 in the afternoon the sun is beating down right on the beach and it is HOT! By mid afternoon most are in the pools, swim-up bars or in their rooms. Let's say you have a 4:00 P.M. departure from MoBay.. by the time you figure checking out, the bus trip back and the wait at the airport you've killed a whole day. So a week of vacation is really five days. Once through Customs it's a five minute ride to the resort , beach, Red Stripe and Jerk chicken at Sandals, MoBay. Hey, that's just my opinion.
  • I second that. It is a let down to drive through MoBay and ride for two hrs to Negril even though Negril
    is nice. I would try MoBay next time. Anyone find cats to sail around Cozumel or Playa? My sister has a place there and I am thinking of checking it out.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Richard good luck making your decision. It is a tough one to make. I am sure all the resorts are nice. And finding the differences can be hard to find sometimes. I was at Whitehouse about 6 years ago and the resort had been open for about a year. Many of the others have been open much longer and some where previously other hotels they converted to a Sandals. Most have been updated and all are very nice, but some I am sure are showing their age, but that is not something you can find in any of the information they provide. There are many other choices then Sandals, I have tried a few and have gone back to Sandals. Haven't tried Club Med, and now that I have small children may do that since there are not as many Beaches resorts (which is the same company as Sandals).

Finding a resort with Getaways would be awesome for the sailing. When we stayed at Beaches Negril, one of the resorts down the beach had Getaways, but not sure which resort it was. Looked like mostly European guests at that resort.

Another option would be a cat charter out of the British Virgin Islands. Something like Moorings, that does skippered charters. Not sure on budget or if boat all the time is what you are looking for. That is a dream of mine once my kids are older.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Smfinley, I have done a Gulf Stream crossing on a big cat (40ft) already and we have a trip planned (and paid for) to the BVI on a 48ft cat coming up so I agree with your suggestion, LOL.

I will do some more research on where to go and where to stay. This trip will be a 4 or 5 day little escape for the wife and I. We do not have children so it makes it easier. Right now I am looking at MO bay as suggested above. All inclusive for a 4 night trip. Just do not know which will be best. I would prefer something that has a lot of beach. I walk in the morning when the wife is still sleeping. Thanks for all the advice so far, keep it coming. Richard.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • Ensenada is a pretty impressive place for cat sailing. There are a couple of 4 star hotels there that are gorgeous and room rates are a bargain. The Coral Hotel has a full service marina.

If if I recall, the Hobie 16 Internationals were held there a while ago.

I know the area well and the only potential problem is being able to find a cat to rent.

Cabo San Lucas is gorgeous and has several top notch resorts. Even the famous "Hotel California"!

Plenty of cats to rent and there is a ton do to.

Cabo is a much smaller town and more upscale than Ensenada.

As far as safety is concerned, neither pose a problem despite what you may hear. The trouble is centered around the border from Tijuana south to Rosarita Beach.

Edited by caribbean2012 on Dec 23, 2012 - 06:04 AM.
  • Larry, Have you thought about Belize? Quick search came up with some rentals there. Let me know what you
    find out as far as pricing. We are looking for a short beach vacation around the same time as you.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Well they 'fixed' the marine held for no reason problem, so I may consider Mexico again. I had a buddy just get back from Christmas (they are jewish so not an issue LOL) in Mexico they were in playa del carmen and enjoyed but the red flag, too windy was up for most of the time they were there.

Having sailed some in the Caribbean I do not want to get too windy either. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks again for the input. Richard.

Edited by RicardOben on Jan 02, 2013 - 09:03 PM.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.