Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

"panty hose" tramp repair  Bottom

• http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=79566&g2

was to lazy to sew up this 1/8" hole in my mesh tramp proper, mixed up some west system epoxy and did the ole panty hose repair. the epoxy dried up and seems to have worked ok...wondering if someone else has tried this. just want one more season(or three) out of the tramp...i know i should have sewed it! but this was all i was in the mood for. icon_wink

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • The epoxy, unless you used G/Flex, will:
    1. crack, since it's more stiff than the surrounding flexible mesh, and the edges will catch on people and things and be a PITA;
    2. yellow and get even more brittle, unless you added a UV stabiliser of some sort, and once yellowed (if not before), refer to 1.

G/Flex is, well, flexible and might have worked. Did you do this on the underside of the tramp, perchance?

Edited by tami on Mar 15, 2011 - 07:02 AM.
  • the hole is next to the tramp pocket and the repair is dime size...i rubbed in the epoxy so there is no "blob", it's more like a stain on a shirt. the repair is flexable even after it cured and is real strong. might top it with g-flex for u/v protection or just sew in a small patch later...needed to step the mast sunday and didn't want to risk a tear.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • So you really weren't asking the question icon_wink ... I see...

Well, as a canvasworker, I always wince when people do things like glue up sail repairs etc. Because they generally then later on bring them to me expecting that I can sew through the goo or will be willing to spend the time to remove the goo...

sorry if that's not what you'd like to hear but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn at some point.
  • there's no restoring this ole tramp(easy golfdad75)...when she goes, she's gone! it's amazing how strong the fabric is, guess the stitching is what goes first.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • The only problem about making fun at Coastrat is he can sail the heck out of that boat and I am afraid he will go off and leave me when we make the Horn Island hop.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • I heard a story that a sailor went to a house of ill repute, after the deed she told him "whatever its worth". He threw her a dollar. She exclaimed," If that is all it is worth then I should just sew the dang thing up." The sailor replied, "Well a stitch or two wouldn't hurt."
    So Coastrat to any old tramp a stitch or two wouldn't hurt

Edited by golfdad75 on Mar 18, 2011 - 12:31 PM.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • right on golfdad75...well said. tami is right also..."kids, don't try this at home!...ole' uncle bill and uncle drinkie get wound up on some blue ribbons time to time and do some unconventional stuff in a hurry...i'll keep you posted on 'this old tramp' ...a few stitches would do the trick though...".

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.