Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

North Georgia sailors  Bottom

• Are there any Georgia sailors who have some good suggestions for lakes to sail on? I know about Lanier, but it can get pretty busy. I was wondering about some of the mountain lakes like Chatuge or Burton. Any suggestions of some good sailing spots and put-ins would be appreciated.

--
    Bruce Henry
    Lithonia and Lakemont, Georgia
    82 Hobie 16
    --
  • So I was waiting to see if anyone posted about lakes other than Lanier before I said anything. I have not sailed on other lakes in Nth Georgia but Lanier is not that bad - depends when you go. Early and late season is relatively quiet - during the summer the chop and light winds make for drifting days mostly. However, April-June is good, and then September-early Nov.

During the weekday evenings its quiet throughout the summer (if you can get there at a decent time due to traffic).

I store my cat at Aqualand on the East side and have no issues with boat traffic getting in and out. Lake Lanier Sailing Club has a good storage and launch area and a number of cats up there. I have not really had an issue with crowding - but I do stay away from the lake on major holidays (July 4th etc) as it does get crazy out there.

Let me know if you need any more info...and where you end up.

David
  • I'll certainly try Lanier; glad to hear it's not so busy. I have a place in the mtns. where I'm spending more and more time. I'll give some of the lakes up there a try, and see how it goes. I like the idea of learning to sail in light air.

--
    Bruce Henry
    Lithonia and Lakemont, Georgia
    82 Hobie 16
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.