Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Moving up to an 18  Bottom

• I am a member of the Hobie fleet in Memphis, TN. I have been sailing a 16 for several years now. I have an opportunity to move up to an 18 with wings... How much more is involved with sailing one of these. Can it be set up by one person? I have been out on Damon's boat once, but I was under his "wing" and did not help set it up...
  • Hey streetdoc432,

My unbiased opinion is that you will love a Hobie 18 with wings!

There a few differences I can think of on setup. On the 18 you'll have these additional items .vs the 16:

• Mast is heavier, but not too heavy for you to raise.
    • Daggerboards, just take a minute to attach
    • Zipppered roller jib, means you attach a temporary jib halyard extension while raising the jib.
    • With wings you may not need the trap lines, saving that setup.
    • Unfolding the wings and attaching the pins takes a few minutes, unless you go with toggle pin$.

That's all I can think of, most things are the same, like the rudder system, lacing a tramp, raising the main. The whole boat is quite a bit heavier than your 16, so a good set of Cat Trax will make life easier. But when keeping the boat mast-up on the trailer at Delta Sailing Association you don't have to worry about that.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Hello Streetdoc... You will love the 18. I'v sailed 16's for many years and upgraded to a 17 with a super jib~I call it my 'Hemi'..Good fast boat for 1-2 people(depending on weight,seats can only hold 350lb.) Then and friend of mine sold me his 18 mag..It's like a ''Caddy'' I love both boats, and won't go back to a 16... Put trap wire's on the 18~~ You'll want them when it's windy....Settin up ain't much difference than a 16, but a little heavyer.. You should have another person when ya set it up..After ya raise the mast & hold it in place~~ they can attch the roller furl. & help ya with other stuff ETC ETC.... Now go get that 18 & have fun and sail SAFE & WET~~~>>> you'll have many of these~ icon_biggrin

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I'll never go back to a 16, except to play. The 18 is much more stable and points higher. I had water over the leeward hull up to the forward cross-bar, and it blew right through without slowing much. I solo it often, yet my fastest speeds were with two of us trapped out. Even in 25 kt wind, I could make it go while solo. You won't regret it.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.