Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 disassembly  Bottom

• Is there any particular details I should know about disassembling the crossbars from the hulls of a late 1980's Hobie 18? Thanks,Bob.
  • The Hobie 18 is simple to take apart, just remove the 8 bolts, two at each corner from underneath the deck lip.

The only warning I can think of is to make sure the hulls are supported (both sides) if you are taking it apart whill on the trailer, you don't want the hulls falling over and being damaged.

If possible, take some pictures as you do this, it would be great to have step-by-step pictures in the "Beachcats Technical" section for the next H18 owner who does this.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • wwkbobIs there any particular details I should know about disassembling the crossbars from the hulls of a late 1980's Hobie 18? Thanks,Bob.

Nothing special - just follow your nose and common sense.

However... woe betide you if you have problems. I did a hull swap this summer, and here's the fun I had: The inboard aft bolt was bent - it was a hassle, but it came out with the threads intact. The inboard fore bolt, though, torqued off in the nut. I don't know why - there was no indication of any damage or misthreading - it may have been assembled with permanent loctite, though I couldn't see any on the exposed threads. I lost a couple of days while I chased down replacement parts from the nearest dealer, since big stainless bolts like that are unusual and the nuts in the castings in the extrusions are a custom Hobie part. So if you're taking these apart for the first time, I strongly suggest you stock up on some spare parts FIRST. Get a couple of each of the bolts and the casting nuts, and a few pop rivets in case you have to remove and reinstall a casting in order to replace a nut.

Jonathan

edited by: jonathan162, Nov 16, 2007 - 08:04 AM

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • There where many problems with the bolts on the H18 in the 1980's In many cases the dealer would cross thread the bolts on the inside if they didnot run a tap thru boltin casting prior to assembly. These will need to be replaced when you remove the inside bolts since the treads will be shot.

edited by: JDuke, May 18, 2008 - 07:07 AM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.