Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 for College Student/Sailor/Racer  Bottom

• Hello everyone,

I've had the hobie bug for about three years now since sailing a 16 in a regatta my school sponsored (which I somehow managed to get 2nd in despite it being my 3rd time sailing a 16). I've been looking casually since then, and finally am ready to look more seriously.

I race 420's for Webb Institute in Long Island, so I am already involved in racing--that's one big thing I'd like to do with the hobie. I have been focusing on the 16's as there seems to be a great availability, plenty of competition out there, and they're a hell of a lot of fun. My questions are as follows:

-Should I be considering a boat other than the 16?
    I'd like to get a boat for around 3500 or less. That brings me to my next question.

-How old can a boat be and still be competative?
    I know condition is the main factor, but it's harder to gauge than age. I'm sure you know what I mean even. The age is pretty directly linked to the price with my current max as seen above. If i sell my current sailboat (18' classic lined ketch cat if anyone's interested)and my kayak, then my budget would go up, but who knows if those will sell any time soon.

-I live in the New Haven, CT area, and go to school in Glen Cove, NY (LI). Are there any active fleets around?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to join your ranks.
  • Nice to meet you Seth, glad you want to race beachcats!
    XtSurfMogulXtShould I be considering a boat other than the 16?

Certainly consider all alternatives based on what is sailed in your area. If you can connect with local catamaran sailors you can find out who has the most active racing fleet. Because of the number of H16's it's a good chance the 16 will turn out to be your best choice based on your budget. You can get a nice "race ready" Hobie 16 for $3,500.
    QuoteHow old can a boat be and still be competative?

As you say, a race boat needs to be in good condition, but condition is relative. When looking for a boat keep your eye out for a boat that's newer (late 80's rather than earlier) but in "bad shape" in it's soft items so the price is cheap. Look for the ugly boat that needs sails and tramp. Then clean the (nice and solid) fiberglass hulls, polish, get new tramp and sails and you've got a really sharp boat that will sail with the new ones.

Good luck and let us now what you get.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • For 3500 you should be able to get a competitive boat if you take your time. I think there is still a Conn. fleet, but quite a few Conn. residents belong to Fleet 448 in Rhode Island (www.fleet448.org). Some fine 16 sailors still competing on the old classic, like Bob Merrick. I'd expect a really nice looking and performing boat for that price. That's what I paid for my current 17. It must've spent 10 years in storage, because it only had about one season of use. I think it's an '88, and I got it in '99. Look for soft spots, any signs of wear/neglect/abuse. Let us know what you find. Brian

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.