Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Frustrated!! Righting Pole Instructions Needed  Bottom

• still looking for more info on righting pole...Will it allow me 220lb male to single hand my H18 and get her up after she goes over on her side? the info in the technical gallery was just enough to peek my interest. Where can I find parts or where can I go to get them made? and does anyone have any pics or detailed instructions on how the thing works?...Anxious OP icon_confused
  • Darrell, (Thanks for filling in your profile)

I've moved this post to this new Technical Help forum.

Have you found these instructions for a solo righting pole?
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=12170

I know you found this one, but it's just some detail pictures without instructions. Would be nice if the member that submitted the pics would come back and give more info.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=10953

There used to be a commercial product available called the SoloRight which is no longer available. It was a "stand on top" pole, the instructions in the first link are modeled after the SoloRight I think. I just mention it since you may come across references to it.

I've gathered up everything I know of about righting systems on the site into one album here
    Catamaran Righting Systems

Hope this helps and some others who have good solutions will respond.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I will also check with some of my suppliers tomorrow about righting poles, were you wanting to make one yourself or purchase complete kit ready to install?
  • a kit would be great, but I'll take whatever info I can get and if need be make one myself. Thanks Darrell
  • found one late yesterday, I have some on order and could get one drop shipped to you as well. what boat are you wanting it for?
  • I sail a 5.7 G-Cat. I weigh in at 210. Getting my boat up alone without a righting system is just not happening. So I started with a one inch dia. stainless steel sch 40 pipe. Beautiful metal. Eight feet long. First time I had to use it, it bent like a hairpin. So, not having sch 80 SS. I went sch 80 steel. It works. A little weighty for those who are exo-fanatics about that extra 1/100th mph.

But.... I am at the ragged edge of having enough body weight to do the job. Two people can pop this boat up without a pole quickly. At 210 lbs things are alright till the wave height exceeds 2 feet. Then, as the mast starts to come up, the wave interval knocks it back down. An extra thirty pounds would do the job. So I purchased a rubberized gear bag capable of holding at least four gallons without too much hassle. Inside it I have a very small sand anchor and 100 feet of 3/8 nylon anchor line. I tied it underside below the mast so when it is flipped over the bag presents itself. The anchor stops continued drifting and points the boat in the wind. It is good for getting back on board too. The boat behaves itself while one catches one's breath and allows safe time to stow the righting pole.

For those of us who sail alone...
  • duplicate omission.

edited by: Deepsees, Jun 06, 2008 - 06:40 AM
  • don't know if you are still looking but here is a link with numerous options. the power pole option allowed me to get my h18 up single and I am 185lbs. http://www.murrays.com/archive/36-37.pdf
  • islandbairdsdon't know if you are still looking but here is a link with numerous options. the power pole option allowed me to get my h18 up single and I am 185lbs. http://www.murrays.com/archive/36-37.pdf

I've never been able to get my H18 up solo without the Soloright. I weigh 168 now, but was a bit more. Even with the power pole, it need another fellow to help out (that was without the wind to help though. We dumped it for fun.)

And speaking of the Power Pole, I busted mine (make sure you have a line sturdy enough to keep it from swinging to the front.) Will a regular twin pin windsurf mast work as a replacement?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.