Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Wings for a Supercat 17?  Bottom

• Has anyone installed wings on a non-wings beach cat design? If so, did you use wings from another design or did you create your own? what considerations went into that design process? How did you go about mounting them to the hulls so as to feel confident they were securely in place? All insights are quite welcome -- even if you think such a modification is a bad idea for a Supercat.
  • Great question, I'm just as curious..... icon_rolleyes
  • I remember reading a post from Bill Roberts (the designer of the Supercat) where he suggested against wings. However, I try not to listen to reason.

I had a set of wings on a Prindle 18 and I think that style would be the best for a non-winged boat. You had to install a rubber plug into the beams and the wings fit snugly in the plug. You could adapt them to about any boat because the wings were made in parts and you could either cut the long connector bars or get a new extrusion. The problem is that Performance isn't making them any more. Apparently, the company that made the plugs jacked up the price and made it cost prohibitive.

However, if you could get the wings, you could still install them on any cat with flat beams (not curved like the H18). You would just install the wings next to the beam and drill holes through the wing and beam to run bolts through. Thay may not be quick on/off, but sturdy.

• imho
    if your a good marine welder (or best friends with one)... it can be done. If your not.. it will probably be do-able but expensive, and a PITA.

I watched a SC17 struggle to right (even with shroud extenders) for 20 minutes... 2 times the same day! That boat is hard enough to right as it is... wait till ya get your wings stuck in the mud!!!

save the aggravation and upgrade your trap gear... get more comfortable out there in a new harness and on the fly adjusters (if you dont already have that)
  • The original or earlier Hobie 18's with wings were experiencing problems with the hulls developing major cracks or failure just below the beams where the wings were attached, due to large amounts of stress. They did correct this problem but it is something to consider if you are putting wings on a boat that was not designed for them
  • H17's too... a friend of mine has has continious issues

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.