Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Insurance  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I'm just wondering, do you guys insure your cats? My state doesn't require insurance for beachcats, but I've thought about getting it anyway. What are your thoughts?
  • Depends on the value of the cat.. both on paper and to you!

I pay about 350/year for 7000 insurance from allstate.. that is about what i have put into my boat... I have looked at other ins companies but this seemed the best deal for me.

I sail year round, every weekend.. and take risks with my cat... so to me... $29 month is a no-brainer
  • 350/year doesn't sound too bad if you can sail all year round...guess I should move to florida. haha

I wonder if they consider the local season length when they're calculating the premium. I'll have to call and see.
  • i seriously doubt (and would be surprised) the "season" lenght matters at all.
  • When I sold my monohull I was paying travelers about $200 a year for about $5000 replacement value.
    I called the same company for the Prindle and they wanted to charge $435 ($300k liability, $300k uninsured boaters, $3500 comprehensive). I was shocked that it was more to insure a boat with a motor and electrical system which had twice the Prindle's value.
    I called my homeowners insurance company, for $800 a year, I was already covered for $300k liability and $1000 in damage protection. For $40 more, the damages was modified to cover $2500 in the event the boat is damaged, totalled or stolen. Homeowners for the win this time.

This is with Geico

edited by: kgatesman, Apr 17, 2009 - 05:21 PM
  • i originally called a home owners insurance company but they no longer wrote boat policy's... i cant recall which but i think it was State Farm. Lots of people get good rates with Progressive...

I have checked with Boat US and Progressive.. neither were competitive
  • Boat US has great policies. You need to join first.
  • Kenney, the homeowners route sounds like a great deal. I'm working my way through college right now, so I don't have a house, but I will definitely remember that for after I graduate.

So far, Progressive is the best deal I've found. they quoted me $99. The agent didn't know what exactly that would cover though, which is a little unnerving.

I haven't checked Boat US yet, but I'm planning to call them tomorrow.
  • I also went the Progressive route I think I Paid more that $99 but it only covered liability and a small amount of medical. $150ish I think. My boat is only valued under $2k and i only paid $800 for the boat so no fancy insurance for me.

Hey I am in Magna, UT. Do you sail with the Utah Sailing Association at all. They have an Icebreaker regatta at Utah Lake marina tomorrow. I wont be there I have no cold weather gear and am a wuss when it comes to freezing water

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I don't blame you for being skittish. Last I heard, the water is only 39 degrees right now.

It might be fun to go check that event out though. Sailflow is only calling for 10kts of wind, so I probably wouldn't get wet anyway, and I have a steamer in case it kicks up. Do you know what time it's at? Also, is Utah Lake marina the Provo marina or the AF marina?

edited by: rhuntbach, Apr 18, 2009 - 02:12 AM
  • Sry I did not get back to this in time to give you that info. it had started at 9 or 10 am. it essentially has an all day beach party with sailing for the dedicated and a few will overnight at the camp ground there. They were having a BYOB bbq. And probably are tossing back beers afterwords right as I write this.

If your Interested The next big thing is memorial day at bear lake. They have Rendezvous Beach Willow 3 reserved for memorial day weekend 4th of July weekend and labor day weekend every year. There are some fees involved to help pay for it all but they are very fair and it's next to impossible to get these campgrounds except a year in advance.

They also host the summer games at Utah lake for keelboats and Dear Creek for cats and dingys.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • No worries. I still have some pre-season prep work I should do before sailing my boat--changing ropes and stuff--and I needed to study for finals today anyway.

I heard about the summer games last year, and I was actually thinking about doing it this year. Do you know if you have to be a member to participate?
  • It is important to find out what is covered. many policies don't cover accidents while racing others don't cover sails.... lots of variables.

Most races require liability insurance of 150k and so do most marinas.
  • No membership requirement for the Summer games but I think there is a 30 dollar entrance fee which does get you a t-Shirt as well. Don't know if that is for crew or individual. If you look in the KSL.com classifieds under sailing equipment there are 2 ads listed there for the different days that give more details.

I thinks it's a pretty casual affair not like most official races where only one type of boat is allowed. As far as I know the only distinction is between cats and Dingys.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • andrewscottIt is important to find out what is covered. many policies don't cover accidents while racing others don't cover sails.... lots of variables.

Most races require liability insurance of 150k and so do most marinas.

Thanks Andrew, that's some good info! I'll have to ask about that.
  • I found that add on ksl, and it looks like $30 covers crew as well. Sounds like a good deal to me. And I'm glad it's a casual event--that way I won't be too embarrassed if I come in last icon_lol
  • It'll be a first to me to. I'm pretty much a novice and just got the boat last season. The trick will be convincing one of my kids to help crew. That and I hear winds can be pretty good at Deer Creek and well like I said I'm a novice. Hopefully I'll have had it out a couple times before then.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • i am not a big racer but i have done several... i think it is a GREAT way to:
    a meet the local fleet
    b learn how to sail with the fleet
    c force yourself to sail in situations/conditions you may not have sailed in without being committed to a race... usually a good thing...

we had a race 2 weeks ago and it got hairy. a guy and his son had never raced,but tried. they flipped their H18 and the 2 leaders of the race pulled over to assist.... SPORTSMANSHIP at its finest!
  • Yeah, the wind at Deer Creek is great! Every day like clockwork, there will be 15-20 mph of wind from the south, starting at about 12:30 and blowing till about 4:30. I think you'll really like it! There's not much chop either.

That's cool the leaders stopped to help the newbie. That kind of comraderee is one of the things I've really enjoyed about sailing. If needed, most sailors seem willing to share their gear, tips, and time, and they are willing to help eachother out, instead of just making everything a big competition.

edited by: rhuntbach, Apr 21, 2009 - 10:16 PM
  • As far as Insurance Goes, Its Worth it, Especially If you are storing your Boat at Deer Creek. Many boats get thrown around in that lot or onto other boats. Also you never know when some integral part of your boat might meet its demise. I blew out the main on my old H20 at deer creek in a freak summer storm, Man sailing was epic that day until that happened. Insurance had no problem writting a check for a brand new sail, even without an incident report from the ranger.
    Also if you have renters or homeowners insurance they often cover sailboats up to 17ft. See you at the Utah summer games!
    http://www.utahsummergames.org/sports/Sailing-Catamaran%20&%20Dinghy.html

Ben

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.