Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

X2 or SuperR as an H14 uni-rig?  Bottom

• I am a beachcats newbie. I am looking for new sails for my H14 turbo. I would like to simplify things and go to a uni-rig. How would one of the Whirlwind X2 or SuperR sails as a uni rig compare in performance with the classic turbo rig (classic mainsail and jib)?

Many thanks.
  • I cannot speak for the Hobie 14 - but the superR
    made a great difference in how our nacra 5.5sl
    perfomed - Whirlwind makes a great sail
    and they sure look good. I found this picture on the hobie forums.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/ghhm43/anotherchipsail.jpg

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • Thanks Gordon - great picture. That sail sure is pretty.
    Roger
  • Chip is a great sailmaker (Whirlwind)
    i am sure any sail he makes will work great

BUT!!!! i wouldn't get rid of the jib... it will add to the boat handling, and performance... and is worth the extra setup
  • check out my sails from Chip for my 14: http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=17781

I found that in big wind, sailing uni, the main was awesome! The top opened up and I could depower it. However, in light wind, I had trouble with people with regular Dacron sails. It was probably because I couldn't tune it in the light stuff, but in general, it made the boat a lot more fun. definitely kepe the jib. It may be small, but it does add some to the boat. Chip makes a great jib, too.

The Hooter was a HUGE difference on the boat, But you sail that without the jib. I'm selling the Hooter kit if you want to go that way.
  • Thanks for the comments Dan and Andrew - it seems that the advice is that dropping the jib is not a good idea.
    Roger
  • the jib is critical for cats. The boat will tack much better with one. Also it is really an asset for powering up the main.

I sail much better (and faster) when i pay close attention to my jib tell-tales and set it right (more than the main).

often i sail with the jib sheet in my hand and the main in my lap (in light wind, in heavy air... never let go of the main)
  • Thanks Andrew.

I agree that the jib helps with the performance of the rig overall. My situation is that I want my young kids to able to start playing around with the boat. Removing the jib means that the tramp is clean and easy to move around on for them, and the sail controls are very simple. At the same time, I don't want to lose too much performance. I was wondering if a modern mainsail design in uni-rig could give me the best of both worlds - a very simple rig, but with out a loss of (too much) performance.

Roger
  • There is nothing wrong with the original Dacron sails on a Hobie 14. Some of us got the square top ones for extra performance, but we were really pushing it. The Hobie 14 uni is a fast, easy to sail boat and ideal for beginners. It may be frustrating to tack without the jib, but you just have to learn how.
  • God miss my 14T! That pic reminds me. (Sweet sail by the way) Don't get rid of the Jib. The 14 bogs down big time without it. Forget it if you have passengers or crew. Get yourself a new turbo rig and teach your kids to work around the jib blocks.
  • 14's can be fun with enough wind. That's what I learned on, it didn't have a jib, and easy to right. My girl has a 14T but she doesn't like to sail fast.. I DO icon_biggrin I also have a 17 & 18. When in doubt~~ save any sails, just in case !!

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • That's what I loved. Fast, handles big wind and mindlessly easy to right. Lack of bouyancy and carry capacity was a drawback.

I love my N5.8na but she is such a monster on big surf and high wind days. On those days I wish I had brought my H14T out here whan we moved.
  • sullivarWhirlwind X2 or SuperR sails as a uni rig compare in performance with the classic turbo rig (classic mainsail and jib)?

I've had both the dacron and pentex sails from Whirlwind for my h18 and both were great, you won't go wrong. (SuperR in my avatar)

Since both you are looking at are square top, you will have more performance.

There is quite a price difference though, but the pentex looks cooler as shown in the pic above. icon_wink

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.