Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast Cleaning & Polishing  Bottom

• This may seem like a silly question but I'm new. I've recently bought a used catamaran and have been cleaning it up nicely. My question is, is there a clear coat on the mast? The mast looks like it has a lot of wear marks and scratches. I notices that if I used a 3M paint stripper wheel on it, it really comes out looking nice. I just did it on 2 inch spot in the middle of a mared spot. Can I do that to the whole mast? Would I need to spray a clear on top? Maybe you guys don't think it's worth the time but I have plenty of it right now. Can't wait for the warmer weather to try it out.
  • what type of boat? what year? what color is the mast? Let see pics! :)
  • Usually aluminum masts are annonized. It is a process akin to chroming.

It is there to protect the mast. If you remove it the mast is more likely to be affected by electrolysis. It will be enhanced if you leave the mast up with stainless cables holding it, especially around salt water. It makes a battery.

It takes a special paint to cover it. It has to etched before it can be painted if you decide to paint it.

• Thanks for the info Deepsees. You've given me a few things to consider. The boat will be sailed in freshwater only. I remember my Larson having sacrificial anodes on the lower unit. I assumed because the battery was connected to the engine and the engine was connected to the lower unit and the lower unit was in the water. For the six years I had it the anodes were in great shape. I think polishing up the mast and the other aluminum would look great. I'll try to get some pics out soon Andrew. By the way it?s a Blue '78 Sol Cat 18'.
  • Yes it was a blue Sol Cat 18, I am not sure the year. A friend of mine in Pasco county bought it without knowing how to sail. The mast had been damaged and had two plates welded to the bend/break area. Also reglassed the rub area of the hulls and sealed up the dagger wells.

I put a tramp on it made of thick cotton banding about an inch wide. The tramp looked like a cross hatched lawn chair pattern.

The sail finally ripped apart on a jibe. I think it is still sitting in my friend's yard in San Ann.

edited by: Deepsees, Feb 20, 2009 - 02:44 PM
  • I posted a thread on catsailor.com called Galvanic corrosion and the sacrificial anode... Several people said it was a great name for a band!

I have talked about putting anodes on my beams and mast (as i sail in the gulf).

But I don't know of anyone who has done this on a beach cat and rust hasn't show much in visible areas..

I have a pal with an identical boat that has not been rinsed off as i do every time i sail and its pretty bad...

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.