Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast Cradle - Source?  Bottom

• I'm looking for a place to purchase a mast cradle for my Prindle 18. I've checked Murray's but it appears that they only stock it for Hobie. Does anyone know of a source to buy this part? Thanks in advance.
  • i know this wasn't your question but i have made a perfect cradle that sits on my bast base for $10.00

i use a 3" PVC T (Or Y) and cut out a rectangle slot on the top of it with a dremil tool... and put a black plastic v Bow Stop in it

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11467813/Y_Style_Bow_Stop_Bow_Rollers_Spool_Keel_RollersV_Keel_Roll.summ.jpg

I can take a pic of it if you want... let me know
  • andrewscottI can take a pic of it if you want... let me know

Andrew, please do, I've been using a folded up towel for several years. icon_lol

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • ok... here it is....

http://www.metalfree.com/a/cat/mast-cradle.jpg

One note about the PVC pipe... if you look at the lower left image you can see it there is a slight angle the base part of the pipe. this seemed critical for my setup.. i have also tried to extend the base by a few inches to get the mast higher (not scratching my spin pole/bag) but i could not get that to work, even with angle cuts etc...

edited by: andrewscott, Jan 21, 2009 - 09:48 AM
  • The one for the Hobie 14/16 will work on a Prindle. It isn't an exact fit, but it is clese enough. I use mine on any boat. It is the white fiberglass one that has the V in the middle and two pegs sticking out.

This one:
    http://www.murrays.com/mm…e=07-3175&Category_Code=

The mast caddies come up on eBay every now and then. You can get one for a Hobie and cut out the notch a little more to fit the Prindle traveler.
  • Thanks. Great idea. I really appreciate the photos, as well. I'm headed to Home Depot!
    andrewscotti know this wasn't your question but i have made a perfect cradle that sits on my bast base for $10.00

i use a 3" PVC T (Or Y) and cut out a rectangle slot on the top of it with a dremil tool... and put a black plastic v Bow Stop in it

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11467813/Y_Style_Bow_Stop_Bow_Rollers_Spool_Keel_RollersV_Keel_Roll.summ.jpg

I can take a pic of it if you want... let me know

• DanBergerThe one for the Hobie 14/16 will work on a Prindle. It isn't an exact fit, but it is clese enough. I use mine on any boat. It is the white fiberglass one that has the V in the middle and two pegs sticking out.

This one:
    http://www.murrays.com/mm…e=07-3175&Category_Code=

The mast caddies come up on eBay every now and then. You can get one for a Hobie and cut out the notch a little more to fit the Prindle traveler.
    Dan, Thanks for the insight. I've seen the caddies for Hobies. Good to know that it will work on my Prindle. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated!
  • Here's a good one. Found this one while surfing the web. Go to the link and scroll down to see the mods this guy has made.

http://steve.skybeach.org/sailing_files/sailing2.htm

• UFgatorHere's a good one. Found this one while surfing the web. Go to the link and scroll down to see the mods this guy has made.

http://steve.skybeach.org/sailing_files/sailing2.htm

Kind of cool...
    IMHO -DO NOT USE BUNGEE TO TIE DOWN YOUR MAST... I have had a mast ripped off the trailer and hit a parked car when it hit a low lying branch... where i sail, we have had a mast LANCE a car and KILL the driver (not due to a bungee, but to illustrate how important it is to secure your mast)... i strongly suggest you learn a few knots and tie down your mast.... bungee is not a good way to secure a mast... or wheels, or boat... or ....

In the pics above all you see is a 5mm line with a rolling hitch.. that is secured around the dolphin stiker. The front of the mast is tightly secured with the forestay wrapped around my spin pole....

edited by: andrewscott, Jan 22, 2009 - 09:32 AM
  • andrewscottok... here it is....
    http://www.metalfree.com/a/cat/mast-cradle.jpg

Andrew,do you trailer with the bows to the back? It looks like in the pictures the mast cradle is sitting on the front beam on the mast step. Or maybe I'm just not seeing clearly. Could you make an album in the "Beachcats Technical" and post full size pictures?

I like how you embedded the rubber piece into the PVC.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • DanBergerThe one for the Hobie 14/16 will work on a Prindle.

I've even used that one on a Hobie 18. The bottom doesn't fit well at all, but a liberal application of duct tape and foam took care of that. icon_lol

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Andrew,do you trailer with the bows to the back? - Yes, transoms are closest to my car

It looks like in the pictures the mast cradle is sitting on the front beam on the mast step. - you are correct, the trailer yoke holds up the other end.

Could you make an album in the "Beachcats Technical" and post full size pictures? - sure

I like how you embedded the rubber piece into the PVC. - I know, genius!!!! Say it Damon!
  • I wouldn't use bungee or any other elastic cord to secure something. It's elastic. DUH! It will allow for movement during transit. I was simply suggesting the actual cradle.
  • damonAdmin
    Could you make an album in the "Beachcats Technical" and post full size pictures? - sure

Went to do it.. and then realized i already threw the images in the trash... sorry
  • damonAdmin
    andrewscottI can take a pic of it if you want... let me know

Andrew, please do, I've been using a folded up towel for several years. icon_lol

LOL I use a folded up towel too.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I tried towels & life jackets, the fancy Murray's thing, and even PVC pieces cut with slots. After all of them exhibited shortcomings, I have switched to a wooden thing I make myself. Basically 10"x10"x2" piece of treated wood, with rods/dowels to keep it on traveler and keep mast on it.

Make a piece of 2" thick treated wood about 10"x10".
    Make 4 pieces of 1"x1" treated wood about 10" long.
    Place the large piece between mast and traveler track. laying flat. Position two of the small pieces under the large piece, parallel with traveler track, one in front of track, one behind track. Mark the location, and then fasten them to large piece. This will keep large piece from sliding forward or back.
    Position remaining two small pieces on top of large piece, parallel to mast. mark their location, then fasten them to large piece. This will hold mast in place on the large piece.
    Cover wood with carpet topside,and and maybe bottom side.
    Tie mast to rear beam with your wood piece between.

Pro - cheap, can be easily shaped to whatever angle and position you need. Easy to re-make when you lose it. Won't get stolen. It floats. Low tech.
    Con - doesn't match your gelcoat or sail colors. Not made of carbon like your hulls. Won't earn you reward points @ Murrays. Low tech.

redneck jim
  • QuoteAndrew,...I like how you embedded the rubber piece into the PVC.

Andrew can't tell you how he did it because he did not make the cradle, I did. He didn't think I read this site and claimed credit for its design. That DOG!!!

I cut a square in the PVC with a Dremel type of roto-zip tool. I fine tuned the hole with a very coarse wood rasp until the square just barely squeezed in, then pounded it in with a rubber mallet. Only friction holds it in. This little gem works great on a Mystere mast ball and beam but does not fit well (yet) on a Nacra. The base must be curved to match the beam on the Nacra. I'm back to using a folded towel.
    Yes, nearly all of the solo boats on Dunedin are trailered sterns first for easy solo stepping. I have lots of photos if you need them but you can probably figure it out.

David Parker
    Dunedin, FL
  • mystere50xl
    Andrew can't tell you how he did it because he did not make the cradle, I did. He didn't think I read this site and claimed credit for its design. That DOG!!!

OHY! would you stop stalking me!!! lol

Yes, DP created it.. .i had originally put that in the text but didnt think it was needed copy... ALL BOW TO DP!!!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.