Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Just picked up a new boat!!!!  Bottom

• i have resently picked up an '84 h16 and have a few questions...
    1.I am 140ish pounds and was thinking i would need a water bag if i happen to capsize i have a bulb on the mast which should help and the boat came with righting lines rigged i will also be sailing in a fairly protected area that will sometimes whip up depending where i go

2.what is the best resource for parts for this boat hobie.com or is there another better supplier?

thanks
  • Murray's . And yes a water bag is a good idea.
  • The best resource for used parts is the site you are on. Just look on used parts for sale or post an ad on parts looking for. You will notice that in the Spring and Summer there will be considerly more listings than in the Fall and Winter, but prices tend to be better this time of year.

lawrencer2003Murray's . And yes a water bag is a good idea.

• Oh good point! This site rocks! Dumb of me to not mention. Guess all my maintenance is schedule challenged so I tend to make rush orders to my Nacra dealer or Murrays.
  • Thanks for the reply's is a water bag enough? weight

also i was thinking about storing the boat on a floating dock at the edge of our harbor because we are in the back where there is no wind and we could jsut motor out to the dock anyone have nay experience with this? any reccomendations
  • 'Floating dock'~~~ NOT a good idea. Cats are not made to be tied up or moored... To much wave & strain action on the riggin & mast. My friend did that, it broke one of the side shrouds & the mast came down...
    And snow & winter SUCKS in the North East (NY state ) icon_frown

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • thats good to know ill stick witht he cat trax for now thanks for all the response im sure ill have more wuestions to come
  • Hi : I keep my P-19 on a float all year .In season, I secure a heavy duty bungee chord or line from the mast to one shroud inorder to tighten & leave no slack for any movement . It works because I have not lost my mast in over 10 years . I also secure the main halyard so there is no movement while on the float. I tie the cat to the float with a strong dacron line( or nylon strapping with a ratchet ) from the starbord side of float ,over starboard hull , over the Port hull & port side of float . The line is in front of the mast! In the Winter I remove the mast,rudders,daggerboards,sails. I cover the deck with a heavy winter cover & some whirling lines on a pole to keep the Seagulls away (it doesnt work ). Good luck ! Bill
  • Is a bag enough weight

mrwufflesThanks for the reply's is a water bag enough? weight

Yes it should be. I have a Murray's big bag (the small one isn't) and i was able to right my 450 lb boat last Jan when i got the bag (used). Since then i have let 2 people use it when they capsized (i threw it to them) and it leaked so much water out they could not right their boat. I even sealed it with silicone waterproofer. didn't help.

I called Murray's and they said it was normal to leak water out.... but i wasn't happy with that... so i recently bought a new bag from Salty Dog Marine, Inc.
  • PS From Salty Dog:

We are out of Righting Bag 18" x 34" at this time. We do not plan on building more until late spring.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.