Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Best paint for hulls?  Bottom

• i am completely repainting the hulls on my hobie 18 and i was just wondering if yall have any tips or could suggest the best paint. i am going to paint the bottom first and see how that turns out.
    thanks
    JonBrown
  • Here is a great thread on that topic

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=156624#Post156624

http://www.catsailor.com/…Number=156624#Post156624
  • thanks
  • icon_biggrin
  • I repainted my G-cat with Awgrip. An ex-boat painter turned tug boat captain and monohull sailor told me it is the best hands down. It is not cheap. It is a dedicated system meaning you have to use all Awgrip products. So I was told... after I had put a different sub sealer coat. Still, the paint takes sand under shoes well and shines nicely. If you use it and decide on white... I recommend the egg shell vs their white white... it is blinding in summer sun. It cost me about five hundred in chemistry for a 5.7. I did cheapen up with the yellow below waterline paint on top of the egg shell. I had my own compressor and paint gun.

That was six years ago. It still looks great.

• ok i think i have decided on awlgrip but i have another question does painting the deck`take away from the grip on top? does it fill in the pre-made grip in the deck? thanks
  • That all depends on how much you thin the paint. Deck non-skids usually do alright if mixing as per instructions. There is an additive to mix a non-skid with the paint, I am not sure how much it affects a spray gun though.

When you use Awgrip, you have to buy their thinner. It is about $60 a gallon. One gallon was all I needed to paint my 5.7 and still have enough to clean the gun.

• From what I have seen, Awlgrip is the best, but others work too, like the Interlux two-part and also Dupont Imron paint (like for cars). I have had experience with the Imron paint and it works really well, very smooth with clearcoat on it, so what if it adds more weight icon_lol
    Best of luck, I'm repainting my H18 this next spring from yellow to white.
  • Will you be changing your handle to "whitehulls" then?
  • Jon,
    Awlgrip is great but you don't have to spend that much. Easypoxy by Petite Paints works great, cheap, long lasting, and you can roll it on, or spray. (Can be bought at West Marine) There are other alteratives.
    <code class="prettyprint">http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=18392&g2_imageViewsIndex=1</code>

<code class="prettyprint">http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=18389&g2_imageViewsIndex=1</code>

--
    Philip
    --
  • QuoteWill you be changing your handle to "whitehulls" then?

I think I'll keep it yellowhulls for the nostalgia icon_wink
  • I must assume that you have tried or thought about using maguire's diamond cut. In a lot of cases it makes the hulls look nearly new with no added weight. Kinda expensive @ maybe $30 per quart but with a little elbow grease and a cheap buffer with the hulls on a saw horse it is amazing what can be done.
  • Who, me, or Jon?
    If me, yes, not specifically the diamond cut product but a few other heavy oxidation removal products that helped some, but at this point it is just delaying the inevitable, unless there is some amazing product out there that can really bring the shine back to the gelcoat...
  • there is a product i used on my power boat...its from 3M. I'll have to find the bottle cause I cant remember the name right off, but it worked well. The boat had been oxidized for years, and it came right off. i was very pleased. It'll be a few days, but I'll get the name for you.
  • Thanks,
    I appreciate it.
    Have used quite a few products, but nothing really brings the shine back that well. Maybe it is more difficult for yellow gelcoat hulls to get the shine back?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.