Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

NACRA 5.7 Mainsail  Bottom

• The guy who I bought my NACRA 5.7 from had been using a NACRA 18 squared mainsail on the boat. I like the characteristics of the sail, but it's too tall for my boat so I'd like to replace it. Unfortunately, I've been having a heck of a time finding anywhere to buy a 5.7 mainsail, and none of the sailmakers I've contacted so far have a pattern for it.

Any suggestions? icon_rolleyes
  • Try Chip at http://www.whirlwindsails.com

He doesn't list the 5.7 on the site, but can probably do it.

Or you could try contacting a Nacra dealer like
    www.KeySailing.com and see if factory sails or maybe old inventory is available. I know they have a lot of stray old/new/stock sails around the wearhouse.

Let us know how it goes.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Chip is a great guy to work with
  • Yeah, Chip seems like a stud. He even offered to make a pattern for the sail if I got him some measurements, but I don't have a 5.7 main to measure... Do you guys have any ideas on where I could get the dimensions for a 5.7 mainsail? Also, does anyone know if a 570 mainsail would work on my 5.7?

Thanks for the advice!
  • you can email the cathouse - they will give you a quote for a new nacra sail for the 5.7 or a 570 same boat

cathouse@speednetllc.com - email address

http://www.cathouse1.com/ - web page

Best of luck

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • I can second the Cathouse. They know their stuff and will get you a fair deal. I buy all my parts through them and call them for tech advice. They are very prompt in responding as well. They know the Nacra line, all years, like no one else. Very involved in the local racing community so they see it all.

In fact they have a good sized parts order coming from me this year.
  • Thanks! I tried the cathouse and Mark said he could get me a nice mylar square top for $1500 and change. That would be a sweet sail, but it's more than I want to spend. Chip from whirlwind is still trying to figure something out for me though.

Also, one of my sailing buddies had an interesting idea that I wanted to run by you guys. My 18 squared sail is only about 14 inches too long, so he suggested that I take it to one of our local sail menders and have them take off 14 inches at the top, add some reinforcement at the top, and then re-attach the clew plate. So basically I'd have a "squareish top" sail. I'm worried that the sail wouldn't shape correctly if i did that though... Any thoughts?

edited by: rhuntbach, Oct 22, 2008 - 07:24 PM
  • Try Elliott Pattison sails, epsails.com. They supplied the sails for Nacra.
  • Good idea. I just sent Elliott Pattison an email. I'll let you know what they say.
  • Seems to me that depends on where the top battens are when you do that. Perhaps the pockets could be repositioned. A skilled sailmaker could probably make that work but I think you are talking some serious cash.

Prices of new mylar sails are scary are they not? Makes me real careful of mine.
  • I mentioned this to Kirk Newkirk at Key Sailing and he sent me this. Better call fast before someone else sees it. icon_wink

Damon,
    I have a Like new 5.7 main with battens Skip Elliot.............$500, I dont think I have a Jib that I am fairly sure was already sold.
    Thanks Kirk

Key Sailing, Inc.
    500 Quietwater Beach Road
    Suite 14
    Pensacola Beach, FL 32561
    850-932-5520
    Toll Free 866-KEY-SAIL
    Fax 850-932-8964
    www.keysailing.com

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • You rock Damon! I'm going to call them tomorrow morning as soon as they open. Thanks man!

lawrencer2003Prices of new mylar sails are scary are they not? Makes me real careful of mine.

No kidding. That sail costs more than the truck I pull my boat with... granted half of the things on my boat cost a lot more than my truck too... I guess that means I have my priorities straight huh! icon_lol

• Just wondering, did you buy the sail from Key Sailing?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Yep, I sure did! Kirk shipped it off at the end of last week, and it should be here around the 10th, according to the UPS site. It's a pretty sail too--nice blue and white color scheme. Thanks again for the tip!

I'll post some pictures when it arrives.
  • Is the 18 square sail that you have, for sale.
  • QuoteIs the 18 square sail that you have, for sale.

Yep, it sure is. It's in pretty good condition. There are are no tears or holes, and the seams are tight. The luff is in good shape too, with almost no wear from being run up the mast track. It's missing two of the battens at the top though. I'm not sure what it's worth, but I'm thinking somewhere around $300-$350 would be a fair price. Let me know if you are interested.
  • I haven't had a chance to post any pictures of the new sail on my boat yet, because there's been a fair bit of snow on the ground since I bought the new sail. I'm taking a quick break from my homework though, and I decided to roll it out and snap a couple pictures in my apartment. By the way, thanks again Damon for helping me find this sail!

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/UserPictures/data/0-1234254091_24228.jpg

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/UserPictures/data/0-1234256903_24228.jpg

edited by: rhuntbach, Feb 10, 2009 - 03:14 AM
  • rhuntbachBy the way, thanks again Damon for helping me find this sail!

Sweet! Glad to know it worked out.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.