Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18  Bottom

• I have just bought a Hobie 18, Can anyone tell me if the mast has enough buoyancy in it to stop it from sinking,the mast is water tight. icon_biggrin
  • HECK NO!!! it will sink like a anvil if it is not sealed. buy some marine silicone sealer (3m or similar) for $6 and seal every rivet... hole, crack (except the base plate.. you want a place for water to leave it if it gets in).

If you are a new sailor, plan to capsize often, or just don't trust it... get a "Hobie bob float"
  • If you just bought this H18, how sure are you that the mast is watertight? Do like Andrew suggests. Better that than turning turtle.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • I missed the part about it "being water tight". if it is water tight.... you still can turtle (turn all the way over) but it will take some time, wind and weight in the wrong spot.
  • I agree with the statements above,

The Hobie 18 will turtle if you aren't quick to the daggerboards (Found this out last weekend)and then you get to take the tow of shame back to dry land icon_frown
    I would get the Hobie Bob as training wheels and then once you get more experienced take the ugly thing off and sell if for the same price you bought it for.
  • Try to look at solving this problem before it starts...yes you want your mast water tight, but you might want to look into righting equipment as well. Andrew mentioned the bob which gives the mast boyancy, but a righting bag or pole will help get a boat over before you turn turtle. Knowing what to do and where to go after a flip is a matter of knowledge followed by practice. Murrays.com is a good place to start for the gear and books / videos for the knowledge. I think its Rick White that has the videos, but I bought the book linked below and it helped me quite a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Catamaran-Sailing-Finish-Phil-Berman/dp/039331880X/ref=pd_sim_v_2

hope this helps

Tow-of-shame...been there(hence the name). Its amazing how comfortable a H14T rides upside down...

edited by: turtlecat, Oct 16, 2008 - 02:58 PM
  • pepsiI have just bought a Hobie 18, Can anyone tell me if the mast has enough buoyancy in it to stop it from sinking,the mast is water tight. icon_biggrin

No. It will be fine in a capsize or gentle knockdown. But a hard pitchpole that sends you turtle will drive the mast underwater. Once turtled, the boat will want to stay that way. Are you sure the mast is watertight? Have you taken it to the lake (mast alone) and thrown it into the drink to make sure? If not... you should. You could go with a mast-bob to prevent turtling... if you don't mind looking like a total tool. Otherwise: 1.) don't turtle. 2.) if you do turtle, make sure all sheets are uncleated, have everyone with sailbags filled with water over your shoulder stand on the rear crossbar to drive the transoms underwater. The boat will do a stern-stand, the sealed mast will help to bring it up and the boat will fall back on it's side. Then just do a standard righting maneuver.
  • Thank andy for your advice i will get a float until i work it all out, are the floats heavy,CHEERS PEPSI
    andrewscottHECK NO!!! it will sink like a anvil if it is not sealed. buy some marine silicone sealer (3m or similar) for $6 and seal every rivet... hole, crack (except the base plate.. you want a place for water to leave it if it gets in).

If you are a new sailor, plan to capsize often, or just don't trust it... get a "Hobie bob float"

• yellowhulls17I agree with the statements above,

The Hobie 18 will turtle if you aren't quick to the daggerboards (Found this out last weekend)and then you get to take the tow of shame back to dry land icon_frown
    I would get the Hobie Bob as training wheels and then once you get more experienced take the ugly thing off and sell if for the same price you bought it for. icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin THANKS Again for your help, i think training wheels might be a good point for a begginer, well to small cats anyway,i have sailed the big cats, but i am sure that these will be much more fun, if the weather ever changes CHEERS PEPSI

yellowhulls17I agree with the statements above,

I would get the Hobie Bob as training wheels and then once you get more experienced take the ugly thing off and sell if for the same price you bought it for.

• Doug-p182-590
    pepsiI have just bought a Hobie 18, Can anyone tell me if the mast has enough buoyancy in it to stop it from sinking,the mast is water tight. icon_biggrin

No. It will be fine in a capsize or gentle knockdown. But a hard pitchpole that sends you turtle will drive the mast underwater. Once turtled, the boat will want to stay that way. Are you sure the mast is watertight? Have you taken it to the lake (mast alone) and thrown it into the drink to make sure? If not... you should. You could go with a mast-bob to prevent turtling... if you don't mind looking like a total tool. Otherwise: 1.) don't turtle. 2.) if you do turtle, make sure all sheets are uncleated, have everyone with sailbags filled with water over your shoulder stand on the rear crossbar to drive the transoms underwater. The boat will do a stern-stand, the sealed mast will help to bring it up and the boat will fall back on it's side. Then just do a standard righting maneuver.
    icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin I Proberly should of mention there is no crew, only me and my girlfreind and she dos'nt make much of a dint in the weight department,i try to get her to put a few extra kilo's on, but its like talking to a wall icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin CHEERS PEPSI
  • Thanks guys for all your help, i will just plot along checking all the gear and i will go over the mast with a fine comb.''looking for anything that could use a little silicone icon_eek icon_biggrin icon_biggrin
  • Doug-p182-590
    pepsiI have just bought a Hobie 18, Can anyone tell me if the mast has enough buoyancy in it to stop it from sinking,the mast is water tight. icon_biggrin

icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin i should mention also i am sailing in the ocean and not on any lakes,,the waves can get big, so pitch pole at some time may be totally unavoidable CHEERS icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin
  • turtlecatTry to look at solving this problem before it starts...yes you want your mast water tight, but you might want to look into righting equipment as well. Andrew mentioned the bob which gives the mast boyancy, but a righting bag or pole will help get a boat over before you turn turtle. Knowing what to do and where to go after a flip is a matter of knowledge followed by practice. Murrays.com is a good place to start for the gear and books / videos for the knowledge. I think its Rick White that has the videos, but I bought the book linked below and it helped me quite a bit. icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin Thanks for your helpand link CHEERS PEPSI icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

http://www.amazon.com/Catamaran-Sailing-Finish-Phil-Berman/dp/039331880X/ref=pd_sim_v_2

hope this helps

Tow-of-shame...been there(hence the name). Its amazing how comfortable a H14T rides upside down...
    edited by: turtlecat, Oct 16, 2008 - 02:58 PM

• Pepsi... i have no idea how much the "BOB" weighs.. i would doubt they are more than a few lbs.

i agree with the righting bag... you will need it if you dont have alot of weight.

if you dont expect to be near other boaters that can help you if you need it get a VHF phone too... :) better safe than sorry
  • hey Andy , i have know hole in the base plate, and if i did and pitch poled i would think that if there was a hole in the base plate,,that it would be a great place for water to get in. What's your thoughts on this icon_biggrin icon_biggrin PEPSI.
  • to andy, a VHF is a top idea and i have looked into this, i will have to put aside some more money, and fishermen in my bay would just drive right on pass, they would think that i was on a new kind of conoe. call it lack of brains. BUT the sailors well there a different story, they would all help, mabe because fishing is less important. CHEERS PEPSI icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin
  • pepsi

I would get the Hobie Bob as training wheels and then once you get more experienced take the ugly thing off and sell if for the same price you bought it for. icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin THANKS Again for your help, i think training wheels might be a good point for a begginer, well to small cats anyway,i have sailed the big cats, but i am sure that these will be much more fun, if the weather ever changes CHEERS PEPSI

CHEERS YELLOWHULLS, AND THE TOW OF SHAME SOUNDS LIKE A TRIP I DONT WANT TO DO. icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_eek icon_biggrin icon_biggrin PEPSI

edited by: pepsi, Oct 23, 2008 - 06:23 AM
  • pepsi

AND YOUR RIGHT THE BOB IS NOT PRETTY BUT IT WILL PREVENT HEARTACHE IN THE FIST ROUND. icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin PEPSI
  • turbohoboIf you just bought this H18, how sure are you that the mast is watertight? Do like Andrew suggests. Better that than turning turtle.

THANKS ROB icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin PEPSI

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.