Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

A GREAT DAY OF SAILING!!!  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/UserPictures/data/0-1224110042_6627.jpg

Andrew..I stand corrected. Here are my two with Banzai in front.
  • nice!... again sorry about Snickers...

Question about Rabbits.. after they tag teamed and got the rabbit... what next? did they give it to you? or just run away with it?
  • Thanks, we loved her despite her spectacular naughtiness. When they caught the rabbits generally there was no need to give them too much dinner that night. There have been many, many rabbits, possums, mice, chipmunks, squirrels(I hate when that happens), raccoon(I stopped that one before the coon lost), skunk (that was a long night and big vet bill), snakes, birds(including a goose who foolishly attacked Banzai)...Rabbits and mice are the food items. The rest are dropped and forgotten as soon as they stop moving. Banzai has accounted for most of this tally. They were bred for this so its hard to control.

Banzai is usually pretty good about dropping the game on command. Snicks would run and chew.
  • "spectacular naughtiness"... LOL - great term.

Well i know they are Japanese hunting dogs... but i have not seem much in the "retrieving" or "handing over" trait so i wondered what your dogs did with the kills. Diamond did get a baby rabbit one day in my boat parking area (fenced in) and she didn't kill it... (but it was not moving much), nor did she eat it (she may have just been catching her breath before a snack... but i intervened).

Boy we sure have hijacked this thread... oh well...

another question...
    What is the typical indoors disposition of this breed?

i just got Diamond from my ex gf,she is 4 (the dog, not my x) and she basically sleeps ALL DAY, regardless of my attempts to play with her.

When i get home from work or sailing she is excited to see me (or actually to have me throw her chew toys) for about 5 minutes and then back to the couch/bed or carpet for more "down time". I walk her 4 times a day, and try to get her in the dog park every day to exercise her...

but she is borderline lethargic indoors... is this typical?

Thanks, Andrew

edited by: andrewscott, Oct 16, 2008 - 09:29 AM
  • They served three purposes in Ancient Japan. 1) Village Rat Catcher 2)Track and Flush small game (they ran big circles around hunter) 3) Keep wounded boar from charging hunter and hold it in place for the kill. There are a few articles on the web. What hunting they do today seems similar to what Beagles are used for. No retrieving.

Your description of her is very normal. They are very cat like at home. They demand excercise and play (on their terms)in 5 minute intervals like you described. That said, they can run hard all day. If they don't get it they will find activities that will amuse them and give you an aneurism. There is a ton of info in the web and there are several excellent books available on Amazon.

You are the proud guardian of one of the worlds 15 oldest breeds closest to the wolf gemome. So you don't have what most folks would consider a std dog.
  • Awesome data. Thanks for the info...
  • No problem. If you ever have any questions don't heasitate to e-mail me. Sounds like Diamond is already pretty compliant and obviously bonded to you so you. You are already doing a great job with her. Constant vigilance and building that relationship based on positive reinforcement and mutual respect are my advice. I did rescue/fostering for several years and have seen it all. If I could shut down the puppy mills and stop pet stores from selling this breed I would. I stopped because Banzai gets upset & lack of time. Any time I can help a new owner I jump at it.

Here are some good resources:
    -"Shiba Inu - Complete Pet Owners Manual" - Laura Payton - Avail @ Amazon & Cheap but best book on everyday living with the breed.
    -"Japanese Dogs" - Michiko Chiba & Lucy North - Tough to find but well worth it.
    -WWW.Shibas.org - National Shiba Club - See Jacey Holden's Excellent Article.
    -WWW.i-am-shiba.blogspot.com - Go to "Misanthropic Shiba" for a humorous by highly accurate perspective.

Larry
  • cheers
  • Now to return you to your regularly scheduled program content!!!!

Shutting down for the season this weekend and building my spring maintenance and parts replacement punch/shopping list. Depressing.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.