Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Newbie Cat sailor rudder problem  Bottom

• Hi,
    Just bought my first sailboat, a used Prindle 16. My first venture into the lake was comical but after I got it together that boat really was fast and exciting. The big problem is that the rudders wouldn't lock which made it really hard to steer. I have been reading on here that it may be not adjusted well enough. I noticed that both rudders are chipped up on the trailing edges. Also one of the springs that are supposed to provide tension on the lock bolt (not sure about my terminology) is not in great shape. Also one of the locking pins looks worn. I read that there may be a rudder rebuild kit available. I also would like to replace both rudders as they look worn out and beat up. Where is a good source for these parts ? Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
    Regards - Aligner
  • Aligner
    Not too sure of rudder setup on Prindle as I have Hobie but check out Technical Help Gallery on left of this page, there is a Prindle 18 Manual that you can download in PDF, maybe that would help? icon_confused

edited by: turbohobo, Sep 30, 2008 - 02:46 AM

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Better still, look under downloads, column on left of page, there is a manual for your boat under performance catamarans icon_biggrin

edited by: turbohobo, Sep 30, 2008 - 02:49 AM

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • One other note. Performance Catamarans makes Prindle. I have a 91 Nacra also made by them. I have had excellent experience with their technical support.
  • Try http://www.murrays.com for all your misc parts and pieces.. I have found that I can find 90% of what I need on the net and local stores for cheaper. West marine has alot of stock on hand and can order or know where to find some of your parts but you will pay a higher price.

This site is great for getting input and help. The members go out of there way to help get you out on the water and share their good and bad experiences.

Scott
  • I began sailing a used Prindle 16 a couple of years ago. The first few times out were frustrating because I would reach a good speed and the rudders would release. As you have found out, it is difficult to steer the boat when this happens. I have been warned that if this happens and you force the tiller, you run the risk of breaking the rudder casting.

I got on the phone to Murrays and ended up ordering their stiffening kit (the washers take the play out of the bolt), replaced the rudder lock bolt (once removed, I could see that mine was bent) and lastly, replaced the springs. The improvement was significant! You can download the Murrays catalog from their web site - page 33 for parts on the Prindle rudders.

Jack
  • Listen to Jack, he is right on the mark with his advice.
    Once you adjust your rudders correctly you should have a neutral helm. Something I still haven't been able to do on my H16.
    Until you get the replacement parts you can take the rudder down haul line and tie it around the tiller crossbar. Not the best way, but it has work for me in a pinch.
  • I have been sailing and racing Prindles and Nacras since the late 1970's. Once you learn how to adjust the rudders they will work perfectly. Send me an email to hullflyer1@netzero.com and I will explain everything. If you would rather call when you start I will be glad to help.

Elias
  • Hey thanks for all the advice. This site is awesome for a newbie. I am planning on replacing the lock bolts, they look bent and the springs, now that I look at the springs one of them looks bad. Wish I lived in a warmer place so I could sail all year long. Its one of the funnest things I've ever done. I'm hooked. Thanks again guys.
    Aligner
  • Using a high quality rope for the rudder assembly I found helps a lot if you had to assemble and put it to together and used a cheap stretchy one or if what was on there is old weathered and worn out you will regret it. Also I have only had mine on my P18 pop out a couple times but I am pretty new to this as well.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.