Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Side Rail Carpet Removal  Bottom

• Anyone have any ideas on how to remove glue residue. I am in the process of removing whats left of the side rail carpet, tried a spatula or putty knife and that just scratched the aluminum. Anyone? icon_confused

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • The standard thing to try for adhesives is heat from a strong hair dryer or commercial heat blower, be careful, you could cook the fiberglass.

There are also some excellent adhesive and epoxy removers available in the paint department of your local hardware store. I used a product called Goof Off to remove very old hull stripes, if you let it soak on your residue, it might work.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=11256

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I agree with Goof-off... this should work. Just expect lots of elbow grease...

The main ingredient in Goof-off is xylene. I have used pure xylene to remove contact cement and even epoxy where my centerboard tape goes. WEAR GLOVES... this is BAD STUFF. i even wear eye protection and a resperator (paint filters)...
  • Definitely wear gloves. Goof Off is not a good thing for your skin (trust me on this one icon_wink )

Otherwise, let the Goof Off sit for ten minutes or so on the rails and then use a Scotchbrite dish pad or a razor to remove the glue residue.
  • Thanks guys, I tried some goof off, did not seem to work although I did not let it sit for 10 min. Will try it again, properly this time. icon_biggrin

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • You might go to the Automotive Paint store.

They make a product called Reducer it will pull 99% of the glue off with out harming the gelcoat..

You may also use Acetone that will get it off. Make sure you wear gloves as it will dry out your hands and cause them to crack over prolonged exposure

Scott

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.