Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 14 Boom  Bottom

• Hi,
    I'm new to catamaran sailing. I recently stumbled into a Hobie 14 (1989), minus the boom, sail(s), tiller and block. I've read that the Hobie 16 and 14 share many parts. Surfing around it seems that there are many more used parts available for Hobie 16s. For any of the missing parts above, especially the boom, could I use a part coming off of a Hobie 16?

Also, I have yet to step the mast and sort our the rigging, but I was wondering how to tell if system is set for a Turbo 14 or standard 14 rigging?

thanks,
    Dylan
    Hansen, Idaho
  • i have owned a H16 (and 18) but dont know much about the h14. i would suggest the hobie forums for answers to your questions.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/index.php?c=N
  • The H-14 boom is just a little shorter than the H-16 and can easily be shortened. You can tell it is set up for a turbo easily. If there is a dolphin striker under the front crossbar, and if there are grommet holes in the tramp for jib blocks, and the bridal wires will be shorter to allow for a longer forestay and jib. Most parts that you will need can be found on this site under used catamaran parts for sale or post an ad under parts wanted. It is a great site for selling or finding used cat parts.
    Good luck
  • Started out with a H14T, great little boat to learn on, very forgiving, and if you do flip the cat, easy to right. The jib will have a wire running up inside the leading edge which will act as your forestay, this will connect to a short wire called a pigtail by means of a swivel, the pigtail connects to the mast tang by means of a shackle. On your bridle wires will be your roller furler, the bottom of your jib connects to this once you step the mast. If you are thoroughly confused by now, just go to the hobie website, under sailboats, scroll down to parts and accessories and check out either assembly manuals or parts diagram.

edited by: turbohobo, Sep 10, 2008 - 03:01 AM

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Plus trapeze wires come with the kit and there should be a furling assy. Biggest regret is selling my impeccably kept 14T before moving from Jersey to Chicagoland. I'd have it for blowing like hell days and my Nacra. What fun! I shudder to imagine what it looks like now.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.