Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

maybe this is nuts... but ok, i'll ask.  Bottom

• ok, so i got the H16 a couple weeks back, had an exciting first outing, and got caught with no wind (or paddle) on the second outing... lesson: carry paddle!

I am in the process of building a rack for carrying the H16 on a rack on my truck, so that I can also tow my travel trailer. i do a lot of camping with my family, and we always seem to end up at lakes. I was thinking, hey, why not build a simple rack, perhaps with electric winch or block & tackle to carry the cat on a ladder rack of the pick up, securing the mast to the roof of the 25 ft trailer... seems reasonable to me, but thought i'd ask if anyone out there has attempted something along these lines.

Seems in the great state of Kalifornia, where the government is here to protect me from my own stupidity, we're not allowed (or perhaps need special permission) to trailer a boat behind a camper behind a truck...

I'm building my first proto-type rack with 2x4s and 1/2 inch black iron pipe, using pool noodles as rollers as supports for the hulls. the rack over hangs the cab (4 door chevy Z71) by about 2 feet, to which the iron pipe will be the cross members - one in front just above the rear doors, and the others on the rear cross above the tail gate. my theory is that i can have 18" pieces of pipe in a lower set of holes, perhaps just above the tail gate for initial loading, and when i get the cat moved up to the front supports, the rear end gets pushed straight up and we move the short 18" pipes up to the upper end of the rack to level everything out. sounds pretty precarious, no?

if it succeeds, i'll send some pics (if i can figure out how to execute that one...)

if others have tried this method and there are simpler solutions, please let me know.

thanks,
  • Why not build a mast caddy to carry the mast on the boat vs heaving it up onto the roof of your camper? Gotta believe someone has tried this with a pick up.
  • ya - i'm thinking the mast would end up on the rack, but at 29ft long, and the truck only about 20, it seems like there's too much extending over the front, and possibly enough in back to interfere with the trailer... if nothing else, i'm sure i'll whack my head on it as i connect / disconnect the trailer.

we'll see. i tend to make things up as i go... if it's successful, i'll post some pics. i did see a pic of a cat on a VW, so it seems the concept has been tried at least.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.