Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H16 Rudders kickup constantly  Bottom

• Hey I have been having a bit of a problem, whenever I really get going the rudder on the leeward side kicks up (for both port and starboard). I usually have to fight the tiller a bit to stay at say 90 degess to the wind. Once the leeward rudder kicks up it is almost impossible to keep a hold on for more than a few minutes.
    I have found that easing out on the traveller a few inches reduces the problem, but then I am losing speed. Also when passing through the channel where the water is a bit more rough also produces this effect.

Any ideas? HELP!!!
  • They need adjusting...or the cams could be worn. Try adjustin first. If yer cat is on land, tilt up one hull and look ''WAY UP IN TO~ the botton of the casting'' You'll see a large plastic screw. about the size of a nickel & you'll need a long shaft screw driver with a broad head. sometimes that screw will get 'gunk' on it and it's hard to turn. If yer cam's are shot, you'll have to go through that way to change em.. Pick up a cam-kit, new spring wouldn't hurt and a screw set~~ it's a male/female set.. drill out the piviot point where the cam would be. Have someone help ya who did this before, or e-mail me and I could send ya some picts.

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • hobie 16 rudders are "fickle"...

popeyez7 is correct...

also they need to be lubricated with silicone ALWAYS (on the rubber cam and on the white plastic ball that is under the cam

I would also suggest the Hobie tool that makes popping up a rudder cam pretty easy (can even be done from the tramp underway) you will need to drill a small hole in the cam to insert the tool ... but this is easy and does not harm the cam. you should go to a hobie store and get one (or order from murrays)

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.