Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H18 Rudder Blades  Bottom

• Hi all,

I just recently purchased a Hobie 18 to learn how to sail on. Unfortunately, I broke and lost one of the rudder blades on the inaugural sail of this boat, so I am now in the process of finding a replacement. Are all H14,H16,H18 blades compatible? Also, is there a good place to get one cheaper than the ~$250 they cost new? Thanks

• The blades are not interchangeable. I have seen people try and fail. the holes for the rudder castings are in different places and will have to be redrilled to fit the H18. this will cause them to crack agian and you will lose another rudder. Also, if you find someone selling used rudders its usually because they are old and brittle and will probably crack on you agian. You always better off getting new ones.

I have seen people make wooden ones. Im not sure how they preform.

Try craigs list or ebay for a bargan.
  • Find a local hobie/sailing shop... or sail repair shop and ask for advice.

I agree new ones will probably be best... i had a $400 hobie18, that i sailed over 100 times... i had to replace each rudder within 2 months... but they will last a few years.
  • nrosieAre all H14,H16,H18 blades compatible? Also, is there a good place to get one cheaper than the ~$250 they cost new? Thanks

Yes, the rudder blades are the same, but the holes you drill in them are different. A used plastic or EPO blade can have it's holes filled and redrilled, just have to use a good epoxy.

The $250 blades are the new EPO²'s which are really nice (have them on my H18), but you can also get the Nylon blades from Hobie, they are in the current catalog, part #20493000 for $120.00 .

New blades don't come with holes, so if you can buy them at a local Hobie dealer you can get them to drill the holes correctly.

Please fill out your profile so you can get some answers based on your location and experience.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.