Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 14 Tiller Tube  Bottom

• Can anyone tell me the difference between a Hobie 14 and 16 tiller tube? Do they have the same angle but different length???

I have a Hobie 14 and just purchased a used rudder assembly from a 16. Can I trim the 16 tiller tubes to make them work for a 14?
  • Looks like it, they are both straight. How much longer are the H16 tubes? Let us know how it works.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I actually have an older H14 and the tiller tubes back then had a bend in them. I contacted Hobie and they told be they 'thought' that I could use the new straight style??? Anyone have any experience with this? They provided me with a copy of the original hand drawn print of the H14 and H16 tiller tube from the 70's. The H14 and H16 actually have a different angle in the bend so I'm not sure that I will be able to make them work.
  • The key to making this (or any similar mod) work on a Hobiecat is to ensure that both port and starboard tube have the same bend, at the same point, e.g., if you have to modify the length, make sure that both cuts are at the same point. The H14 tubes are shorter than the H16 and I'm reasonably certain that you can use either the older tubes or the newer tubes--as long as you have a matched pair.

The next step would be to ensure that the connecting tube (hopefully modified to incorporate adjustable ends) is adjusted to keep the rudder blades parallel--this can be checked easily enough by tying off the rudder system so it doesn't move and measuring between identical points on the rudders. Since the rudders have to work together, if they are not parallel, they will work against one another.

I've been modifying my three (H16, H17, & H18) 'cats for ten years to the point where none even closely approach class legal; however, Hobie designed & built boats a lot like Harley-Davidson built motorcycles. Parts from one design & era can often be used (or modified & used) on boats of another era. In fact, one of the more exciting rides I have is an H16 with an H18 mast & sail system set up to single-hand. (The class legal racers have my support and respect, but hey, I'm an engineer that loves to tinker with design.)

Have a great ride!
    parks

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.