Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 19 MX conversion  Bottom

• Hello all, I am the new owner of a Prindle 19 and have been in the process of getting it up to speed on repairs, paint, etc. I've been looking at the Prindle MX setup and had some questions, none of which I could find very clearly online - is there a lot of work that goes into converting a 19 into MX? I see that the squarehead main and larger jib are the main differences, but what, if any, work would I have to do in order to set up the boat to accept the larger jib? Thanks for your help.
  • The MX has a bowsprit that runs forward from the front crossbar to put the foot of the bigger jib much lower. You will need a different forestay for this.
    Also the MX rudder system uses different rudders, connecting tubes and extended gudgeons to give more control over the boat in a breeze.
    There was internal bracing inside the hulls from the crossbar forward to keep the hulls from being pulled together in a stiff breeze.
    This is considerable work, and some parts will be hard to find.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • The extended gudgeons and the newer style elliptical rudders is what I would get first. They’ll help the performance immediately while not putting much labor into it. This is currently how I have my P19 set up.

The additional parts needed for the larger MX jib is what will be a challenge. I’ve kept an eye for parts myself and they don’t come around often. I believe the bowsprit and bridle foil (? Not sure if I’m calling that right) can be sourced from a nacra 6.0 if needed, but I could be wrong.

The additional sail area on the boat brings more pressure on the bows. This requires an extra bulkhead forward of the front crossbar. Newer models of the P19 already had this and I would ensure you have that too before investing in upgrades.

--
    Erik,
    Prindle 19MX
    Prindle 18-2
    Hobie Getaway
    Hobie 16
    --
  • I’m pretty sure the forestay doesn’t change. The angle stays the same as far as pulling on the bows. It’s just extension tube that goes down to the sprit. There must have a double zipper to go over the forestay connections on the jib. Any old chunk of windsurf mast could be used.

As far as gudgeon extensions, never underestimate the power of a few layers of cutting board under your existing gudgeons. Don’t over think it.

A better way would be to just rig a full spinnaker pole then you can have a spin on there too.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.