Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What cat should I buy?  Bottom

• I’m looking for something that I can take my young kids (5 and 7) and non-sailing wife out on and teach them to sail. Also, and probably more often it would be sailed by me either solo or with single crew. For myself, I want something fast and fun, I wingfoil etc and don’t want to go slow. Would probably take out the family on light days. We’re in SWFL and would like to stay near $10k.

Any suggestions?

I’ve been looking at a NACRA 570, and also and older NACRA F18 that are similar cost. Different boats I know, but I worry the f18 would be too much and the 570 maybe too slow and less fun myself?
  • The best 'combination' boat that I have ever been on is an F16. Fast, yes ... fun, yes ... two up, no problem. I own a Blade but have also sailed a Viper. Both are great boats.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • dssaakThe best 'combination' boat that I have ever been on is an F16. Fast, yes ... fun, yes ... two up, no problem. I own a Blade but have also sailed a Viper. Both are great boats.

I like your thought. I’ll have to keep my eyes open!
  • Hobie Getaway perfect family boat lots of room.I have a 2020 for sale on this site.NE Fl
  • 570 is a great choice as it is boomless and boardless..maybe a bit much solo. Maybe a 500 is batter choice. I sail mine solo all the time and just don't run the spin. Sorry...didn't realize I wasn't logged in.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • I sail an F16 mostly solo during the week but at the weekend I've had 2 adults and 2 kids or 3 adults on it without any issues. With the extra crew I just have them dispersed on both sides and ensure not to heel. Or in strong winds just on the windward and be let it rip. Kids actually love to trapeze as well because it's just a nice experience.

As I race the F18, I have to warn that this is a big overwhelming boat even with 2 experienced crews.
    Look at F16 or even a F17, I have seen a few in the Florida area.
    I sail my F16 solo with all sails including the spinnaker without any issues. The jib is self tacking so just set and forget.

The 500s are very nice boats as well and they are roto-molded plastic so beaching is more forgiving.
    I love the safety factor about boomless with kids but you'll have to forego some speed. A boom isn't that bad just some extra caution if dispersed on both sides.
  • The 570 and F18 are completely different boats. For family stuff, I would lean towards the 570. With the family, especially with kids, set-up and de-rig time is crucial. If it takes too long, like with a F18, doing a sailing day will not domestically encouraged. It's a sacrifice you will have to make until they get into it and willing to help. I have my boat sailable, from trailer, in 20 minutes... With the fam, I knew I had a very short window of opportunity.

I have a buddy that is selling his Prindle 19. I've had a Prindle since 1989 - good boats. Message me if you're interested.

sorry for the "guest" response.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • I see several have recommended an F-16... I guess it depends on your size. I'm only 155# and my wife is under 120# and is just there to support me sometimes. She doesn't want to learn to sail. I can tell you my experience.

We sailed a Tiger F-18 once and it was a horror show. I felt like I was on the knife edge of capsizing the entire time and my wife didn't enjoy it at all. I wouldn't have fun sailing it alone for sure.

I owned a Taipan F-16 for a while. My wife went on it once and had trouble finding a place to sit where she felt like she wasn't in the way of a line. I only ever rigged it 1-up (main and spin). I liked sailing alone but the wind had to be pretty light. Maybe I just wasn't ready.

We've sailed the Hobie Wave lots. She likes the boat and feels comfortable on it, even if I'm pushing it a bit. After many years sailing it, I've gotten a bit bored of the simplicity of the main only rig.

I now own a Topcat K4X (15')... She hasn't tried it yet but I have taken other passengers. Two passengers (that weigh less than me) are just fine. I can sail single handed with all three sails when the wind is 12 knots or less. More than 12 knots and I just use the Main and Gennaker. Gusting to 20 and I stay in.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.