Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Old boat comparison: Nacra 5.0 vs 5.7 or Prindle 18?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I've never sailed a SC 17 but at my sailing club one was parked next to me for a long time so I'll share my observations. The main beam is set a bit more forward than on most cats, so you get a larger tramp. It looks like this would increase the likelihood of pitchpoling but when you look at the forward volume of the hulls you realize pitchpoling won't be an issue. The hulls are relatively straight with no rocker with thinner sections forward. That tells me that in lighter air conditions you must get your weight well forward to sail to weather. In fact, looking at the hulls, it's hard to see how the boat sails well without boards, but apparently it does. The mast has no diamond wires which is surprising considering the boat has considerably more sail area than other boats in this size range. But the mast looks massive and any advantage when stepping the mast because of the lack of diamond wires is probably offset by the increased weight of the mast. The rudder castings, gudgeons and pintels look very strong, in fact the whole boat looks super solid.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • I Grew up sailing on a SC17 and loved them. Only boat I would own other than my 500. However after learning that they had transome issues I went with the NACRA. I have heard stories about the transomes being ripped out during beaching or if you hit something. Never happened on any of the SC17's I had growing up but it concerned me enough to stay away from buying one now.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • QuoteI have heard stories about the transomes being ripped out during beaching or if you hit something.

Hard to believe, but perhaps the rudder kick up feature failed somehow. I can easily see that happening if the rudders remained locked down when hitting something at speed.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • QuoteHard to believe, but perhaps the rudder kick up feature failed somehow. I can easily see that happening if the rudders remained locked down when hitting something at speed.

MN3 Who posts here regularly brought it to my attention. Says he has seen it happen more than once.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • QuoteMN3 Who posts here regularly brought it to my attention. Says he has seen it happen more than once.

I'm not doubting it, but I wouldn't let it deter me if the boat was the right price. An older boat that's been sailed a lot that shows no stress cracking in the gel coat would be worth the risk. Perhaps the newer boats that are made by Aquarius have addressed this problem. I would call them and tell them what year the boat was made.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Quote An older boat that's been sailed a lot that shows no stress cracking in the gel coat would be worth the risk. Perhaps the newer boats that are made by Aquarius have addressed this problem. I would call them and tell them what year the boat was made.

Good Advice...

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Re: SC17 transom damage from impacts, I believe there's a plastic screw in the rudder assembly that acts as a shear pin to prevent such damage. If this plastic screw is replaced by a metal one, the excessive loads would likely transfer to a vulnerable spot. I don't know this for absolute certain, but I can't imagine such a well designed boat having no basic protection from something as common (to some sailors) as running aground and/or beaching.

Late reply to CTmaran, thanks for the invite! Very kind, and I'll keep it in mind if I find myself in your hood.

--George
  • Ok, while I have this brain trust, the 5.0 in my hood is a 1983 model, hull 98. Would that be a solid fiberglass boat? When did they use sandwiches? And, obviously they made that switch, pros and cons of each?

Thanks again --George
  • When you say "sandwich", do you mean foam sandwich? That type of construction is resistant to impact, dings are much more likely to be just a dent. However, any dings that have cracked the fiberglass have to be repaired immediately or the foam will soak up water and cause all kinds of trouble. Don't be swayed by what they call "closed cell foam", water will get in there. Beware of any old used boat that used this type of construction. What you're calling solid fiberglass is reported to be lighter but more easily damaged, but dings are easily repaired with a little Marine Tex and don't have to be done right after they happen.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • QuoteSo why does the Supercat 17 get so little attention when it appears to be a faster and pioneering designed boat?

Supercats are great boats BUT: the mast is made out of anti-matter and weight about 4,000 lbs (give or take)
    the SC 17, and 19 are VERY VERY VERY wet boats. the spray off the bows hits you right in the face ... all day long
    the SC CAN be a bit tricky to right but like everything - technique is everything
  • Quoten fact, looking at the hulls, it's hard to see how the boat sails well without boards, but apparently it does.

17 and 19 are the same hull design. 17 has no boards 19 does.... go figure

QuoteMN3 Who posts here regularly brought it to my attention. Says he has seen it happen more than once.

I can't recall seeing more than 1 time but i did see it first hand. A gaggle of people on a sc21 or 22(?) sailed off our causeway and didn't know/see/care there was a shallow "island" right infront of the beach and sailed right into it - tore the transom clean off. I know i have heard about it from other people but honestly can't recall seeing it happen first hand... I may have and just don't recall.

Edited by MN3 on Aug 27, 2023 - 03:42 PM.
  • cloudchsrThe Supercat 17 looks like a beast. Everything currently on the market around here is 1980s vintage. Where are all the other boats???

In the 90's the EPA started really pressing fiberglass and foam manufacturers and industry users. They put Clark Foam out of the surfboard supply business altogether, for one. Also Congress passed a repulsive tax on yachts over 100k, which literally killed the US yachting industry. All the legacy boatyards either closed or moved overseas. Repealing the tax did not bring anyone back. The damage was done. The sailing industry as a whole died with this. Prindle was sold to NACRA and dried up in the US, moving to Europe. Hobie dropped a number of models, etc. Availability dropped, fleet membership dropped, ownership dropped. We are all that is left, and the current materials are expensive, or alternately cheaper/heavier roto-mold.
    My $0.02.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • https://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/d/apex-1987-nacra-50/7645450450.html

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • [quote=MN3]
    Quoten fact, looking at the hulls, it's hard to see how the boat sails well without boards, but apparently it does.

17 and 19 are the same hull design. 17 has no boards 19 does.... go figure

Not really. The 17 has a much finer section then the 19 and even more so than the 20,21(ARC) and 22. The 17 has so much lateral resistance it's a pain in the ass to move around. An SC20 can be spun and turned easily in comparison, a SC20 is damn near round at the transom. There is also a model of the SC19 that doesn't have boards. When I find one, it will be mine.
  • A long time ago when I was a lad, I remember looking at a Supercat brochure and reading that the 19 was available with or without boards and the board less one came with inserts for the dagger board openings. It sounds ridiculous, so perhaps I'm mistaken.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • klozhald
    cloudchsrThe Supercat 17 looks like a beast. Everything currently on the market around here is 1980s vintage. Where are all the other boats???

They put Clark Foam out of the surfboard supply business

There was nothing in the works by any regulatory agency to shut Clark down, or to levy fines - just constant monitoring and paperwork. Add in local Laguna Nigle yuppies making it hard for him, and a few other law suites... and presto!

I guess one day after making millions and owning the blanks business, Grubby Clark just said enough is enough, shuttered it, and went surfing.

Two of his former employees opened a shop in Gardena; US Blanks, using the same methods and are still running strong today.

Edited by JohnES on Sep 18, 2023 - 05:16 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • cloudchsrRe: SC17 transom damage from impacts, I believe there's a plastic screw in the rudder assembly that acts as a shear pin to prevent such damage. If this plastic screw is replaced by a metal one, the excessive loads would likely transfer to a vulnerable spot. I don't know this for absolute certain, but I can't imagine such a well designed boat having no basic protection from something as common (to some sailors) as running aground and/or beaching.

--George

Hi, George!

Well, that's what one would think, but there are always surprises lurking. Yes, the SC rudder locks (the spring-loaded rollers) are supposed to have 3/8" plastic shafts that'll shear if they don't release. Turns out my SC20 has 1/4" stainless bolts instead, and corresponding 1/4" slots for them milled in the castings. I knew I was going to be replacing them but hadn't noticed the size difference when I stopped at Aquarius to pick up parts and hang out for a few hours with Tom. So when I got home and discovered the size difference and asked him about it, he said he'd never seen such a thing. Just a bit of early boat weirdness, gotta have those slots milled out.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • klozhald
    In the 90's the EPA started really pressing fiberglass and foam manufacturers and industry users. They put Clark Foam out of the surfboard supply business altogether, for one. Also Congress passed a repulsive tax on yachts over 100k, which literally killed the US yachting industry. All the legacy boatyards either closed or moved overseas. Repealing the tax did not bring anyone back. The damage was done. The sailing industry as a whole died with this. Prindle was sold to NACRA and dried up in the US, moving to Europe. Hobie dropped a number of models, etc. Availability dropped, fleet membership dropped, ownership dropped. We are all that is left, and the current materials are expensive, or alternately cheaper/heavier roto-mold.
    My $0.02.

Here's another interesting point for my "whither catamarans" paper that I don't think was raised in that thread (though I should go back and confirm). My question would be why an onerous tax on boats over $100K should affect a market in which most boats cost a fraction of that.
  • jonathan162Here's another interesting point for my "whither catamarans" paper that I don't think was raised in that thread (though I should go back and confirm). My question would be why an onerous tax on boats over $100K should affect a market in which most boats cost a fraction of that.

Supply and demand.
    When the big boys go under and no longer buy the materials, the materials suppliers go away too, and prices go up. There is less financial support for the sport, less visibility, less advertising, and the sport went out of every day consciousness.
    The firms building those big yachts were the same one building the smaller craft, and they dried up. As I mentioned, repealing the tax did nothing, as the damage was done and world markets had popped up to adjust.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.