Nacra frankenboat questions  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• texastuma
    tarch
    texastuma
    tarchAnd another follow up on it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144998065618
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/144951547642

The above two should be ok for the replacement right - shrouds on the boat are 19ft and the forestay at 18.7

Thanks

It will be close. I have a few local rigging companies here that can build them exact and ship to you. I would recommend against the vinyl coating. It looks nice for about 6 months, but it will hold water inside the wire and will expedite the deterioration of the wire. Go with bare wire.

May check eBay for a Nacra mast base. There is a local guy in Dickinson that stockpiles old parts and may have one. Let me see if I can find his website, all I have is a phone number.

I looked on the ebay for Nacra mast base but none found at present. I will try craigslist too. Tried Facebook Marketplace but none there. I found a new one on murray's for about 130 or so. Will it fit the base of the mast I have though! Don't even know what mast I have icon_smile

Becoming more complicated by the minute for a newb icon_smile

But thanks to all the help

Fair enough. To measure the mast, get a caliper or good eyeball and tape measure. You'll measure the fore/aft and the side/side. For simplicity, the OD will work as one can measure the OD of both masts and see how close from there. The wall thickness of the two masts will be close, probably 1/16". I will be at an event this weekend where I can measure a 16 mast and a Nacra mast. I believe the old Nacras, 5.2, 5.0, 5.7, 5.8 and 6.0 use the same mast base. I can take some #s and let you know.

I have a calipers, so I can measure both inner and outer as well as the thickness tomorrow. If you get a chance and can measure that will be a great help too.

Thanks
  • https://imgur.com/a/PSuTgRL

Morning all

Above image is of my traveler. For a Nacra 5.2 from the 70s, how is it rigged?

Do I use the main sheet - pass the main through the fairlead, then the swivel cleat, then the eye on the car, then through the block behind the rear beam and to the eye on the beam?

Or do I use a separate line that forms a loop from the eye on the rear beam, through the block, then fair lead and swivel cleat, then locks on the eye on the car? then connect the main block from the boom to that separate loop on the traveling set up?

Thanks

Edited by tarch on Aug 26, 2023 - 11:48 AM.
  • Using the mainsheet for the traveler works well and seems to be preferred. I take it you were using the three strand nylon just to get a measurement. You might consider using a six foot piece of line of smaller diameter tied to the end of your mainsheet and have that part go through the swivel cam cleat, the traveler car and tied off to the pad eye on the rear beam. The reason I say this is the smaller diameter will work much smoother but you'll still have the larger diameter on the mainsheet to help your grip. Another reason is where the two lines are tied together, it will act as a stop knot and prevent the traveler car from shearing off the stops that are on each end of the traveler.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Why not make use of the Nacra Owners Manual instead of asking all these questions, no rocket science involved icon_wink ?

--
    Brgds
    Lars

Frankentri 5.8/5.5/Inter20
    Aerow trimaran foiler

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1192604934176635
    --
  • shortyfoxUsing the mainsheet for the traveler works well and seems to be preferred. I take it you were using the three strand nylon just to get a measurement. You might consider using a six foot piece of line of smaller diameter tied to the end of your mainsheet and have that part go through the swivel cam cleat, the traveler car and tied off to the pad eye on the rear beam. The reason I say this is the smaller diameter will work much smoother but you'll still have the larger diameter on the mainsheet to help your grip. Another reason is where the two lines are tied together, it will act as a stop knot and prevent the traveler car from shearing off the stops that are on each end of the traveler.

Thanks Bill. I will try the second method and see. It is 3 strand nylon.
  • revintageWhy not make use of the Nacra Owners Manual instead of asking all these questions, no rocket science involved icon_wink ?

Hi Lars

Fair question. Just that a lot of stuff including shroud connections and mast appear to be non-standard.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.