Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Righting usung a truckers hitch  Bottom

• When solo righting today I used a modified truckers hitch. I made a loop 3 feet off the water in the righting line, the free end went thru my trap harness hook, then back thru the loop. It gave me 2:1 purchase and I pulled my body just a bit out of the water, the leverage was phenomenal and the Nacra came right up. Look at truckers hitches and try it. I will see about getting an image to clarify.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Good idea. I guess you tied the loop knot and left it there, no need to tie it each time?
    Do you pull your body up with the line as the boat comes up?
  • I have done the same and have also set up a loop as a stirrup to help get up and out of the water..

A few times this has actually righted the boat without further ado.

Andinista, yes I left them there. One less thing to do when I need to deploy it.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I pulled on it so i stayed right above the water. I suppose i could leave the loop in place.

I like the idea of a foot loop.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I used to do this too - Great way to save some energy however: please realize there are some dangers involved

tying yourself to a line on a boat can be hazardous.
    wearing a harness (hook) on a boat has killed a few people as they got stuck under the boat post capsize - that is why they make harnesses that have "detachable" hooks (on a pull cord)
    also
    If your boat flips over the other way after you right it (on top of you), you could be stuck under the boat and being tied into the line could complicate things.

1 last warning: i have seen people slip during righting and the hook puncture the hull when the sailor fell (face first) into the inner hull - so practice a few times and also in rough seas/high winds .... IF you have other options (crew/help) you may want to remove your harness for the righting
  • Releasable hooks are a great concept. I have practiced releasing mine a couple times

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Been thinking about being tied on. The proposed truckers, or block, and 2:1 purchase from either, means if you release the free end, it runs through, and you are disconnected.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.