Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast stop ball rotates with the mast  Bottom

• Hi all,
    On my Hobie FX-One the mast stop ball rotates with the mast when the mast rotates during normal sailing.
    Shouldn't the ball be stationary, and the mast rotating on top of the ball?
    Is this something I need to fix ASAP, or can I wait a bit, and what is the "cure"?
    Here is a picture to maybe make things clearer:
    https://imgur.com/a/9WNULjL

--
    /Jens
    Hobie FX One
    --
  • As with anything on your boat, Murphy's Law applies, so fix it at the earliest opportunity. I had this happen on my boat and even thought I sailed a few times with it like that, I got paranoid at what it might do to the threads in the ball. I believe you're only supposed to hand tighten them, but I put a channel lock pliers on mine and gave it less than a quarter inch turn after hand tightening. That fixed it but I also wondered if you could fix it with lock-tight or even plumbers tape. One other thing, albeit pretty unlikely, check and make absolutely sure there's nothing rough in the mast base that could cause friction.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • The ball should not be rotating on the dolphin striker post.

It’s hard to tell for sure, but the ball in the picture you shared looks beat up, it might be time for a replacement.

I agree with tightening the ball onto the post using channel lock pliers. Putting some (blue) loctite on the threads would be an option if you can’t stop the ball from rotating otherwise.

Also, check the inside of the mast base socket for burrs and file or sand them away. I also like to place a small dab of bearing grease inside the mast base socket at the start of the season. This reduces friction to improve mast rotation and prevents the ball from squeaking.

sm
  • Sounds like I need to do something. I will get a new ball, and try and make sure it can't rotate.
    thanks for the replies!

--
    /Jens
    Hobie FX One
    --
  • Second recommendation on cleaning and polishing the mast base on a regular schedule, along with making sure your rigging is not too tight.

A new ball with a dab of Locktite Blue will be a big help. My NACRA's had a similar setup and I used the Hobie Teflon disk and this seemed to help a lot too

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I used teflon tape on the threads not knowing what kind of plastic the ball was made out of (now think it's Delrin). Anyway, it fixed the rotation issue; I did have to use channel locks to tighten it, but did so carefully so I didn't mar the ball. If the ball unscrews, not good things happen, though this hasn't happened to me personally.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • All of the nacra castings used to wear a flat spot on the top of the ball, requiring frequent replacement. We solved that by waxing the ball, placing a spoonful of Marinetex in the socket, then inserting the ball, and taping it in place overnight. Next day, pop out the ball, thread it on the post, and step the mast. We never had problems with the ball rotating, or getting flat spotted ever again.

-Mike
  • shortyfoxAs with anything on your boat, Murphy's Law applies, so fix it at the earliest opportunity. I had this happen on my boat and even thought I sailed a few times with it like that, I got paranoid at what it might do to the threads in the ball. I believe you're only supposed to hand tighten them, but I put a channel lock pliers on mine and gave it less than a quarter inch turn after hand tightening. That fixed it but I also wondered if you could fix it with lock-tight or even plumbers tape. One other thing, albeit pretty unlikely, check and make absolutely sure there's nothing rough in the mast base that could cause friction.

+1

Just tighten it. Only about the top half of the ball contacts the mast base. If you use anything else it will be in the way later or not resolve the problem. Teflon tape is slippery and won't solve the issue unless you put lots on and twist it enough to get it to freeze, and then you are loading a lot of pressure inside the ball which will make it fail, or disfigure and stretch loose again. Gluing it on makes removal, cleanup and replacement more difficult.

My $0.02.

Edited by klozhald on Jun 08, 2023 - 06:46 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • With the fact the ball has moved on the post, I agree to buy/build a new ball. The thread should be pretty snug and using Loctite (red or blue) or thread tape will work well. I use a variety of lubricants for the ball; Super Lube, white PTFE, gear grease, and sun tan lotion. Yes, sun tan lotion. The cheap No Ad worked the best. We did some testing years ago on which sun tan lotion worked the best. Now, I use the PTFE or Super Lube; basically what ever I have in the box. I have a canvas cover that goes over the mast base while trailering to keep bugs and junk off the mast base. I also use an old Koozie to cover the mast ball so lubricant doesn't get on everything.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • I got a new ball, fixed it in place with Loctite.
    Will put some teflon lube on next time I have the mast down.
    Again, thanks for the help!

--
    /Jens
    Hobie FX One
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.