Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 Rudder disaster need advice and parts  Bottom

• Hobie 18
    My Hobie 18 1981 was pushed backward by a strong wind into a fence.
    The collision tore out the fiberglass the back left transom, it is hanging on, but barely.
    On the right side, the top of the lower casting, right hand side, where a pin goes through the cast metal is broken.
    I am just learning how to sail (and park) this thing, and for a while it will be easy small lake sailing for a while..
    I am attaching photos.
    (1) How difficult and involved is the fiberglass repair? I won?t do it myself. I think.
    (2) Can the broken piece be welded or JB repaired?
    I am thinking my choices are to replace the one lower casting, maybe both with used parts (pre 1987?)
    -0r-
    Replace the entire assembly with the upgraded retrofitted setup, again, used.
    Does anybody have any of this for sale?
    Suggestions?

Thanks,

A.
  • Hi MrKurtz, i am not going to ask how your boat was pushed backwards into a fence but how your boat was pushed backwards into a fence? just kidding.... perhaps something to do with the "learning how to park"?

I had a h18 and broke my lower castings (a wave slammed me into the shore).

i purchased the casting upgrade at that time. It was a nice upgrade because my rudders did not kick up with the old system and was a disaster waiting to happen.

It wa expensive (more than the boat cost me) and took my repair guy (who had worked on boats for 40 years) many hours to do (like 10).

You can weld aluminum parts but this does weaken it. I am sure you could get many years out of the welded aluminum, so not really a consideration.

i would suggest (in this order) you purchase used parts if you can (cheap and easy), weld the break if you cant (not to expensive and should last), or purchase the upgrade kit if you dont care about the cost.. and are inclined to do the upgrade for the other benifits (rudders that kick).

As per your transom... how hard is that type of repair.... depends on the damage, the condition of the existing huills/glass and the level of expertise in the repair person. It can be repaired if not to extensive... (you didnt include pics)

edited by: andrewscott, Jul 31, 2008 - 10:30 AM
  • Ouch! MrKurtz sent me two pictures of the damage (both sterns) I've started an album in "Beachcats Technical" for the pictures, and hopefully the repair pictures.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…1c18b" width="250"/>

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • You should be able to buff that out! (just kidding)... looks pretty bad, but repairable... on the other hand... those are the CLEANEST, pit free castings i have ever seen... i guess thats what "fresh water" sailing looks like.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.