Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

stable and secure beachcat catamaran  Bottom

• Hello,
    I am thinking of acquiring a beach catamaran.
    The area where I have the opportunity to sail can be very windy with sometimes gusts (17 knots).
    I want to find a stable catamaran that allows me to navigate safely and reduces the possibility of capsizing in order to bring my son.

I have read several technical articles, and I wonder if the solution would be to buy, for example, a Hobie cat 15 and increase the beam and reduce the sail.

Do-it-yourself catamarans like the wharram hitia 14 seem more stable: it's another solution but it would take me more time.
    What do you think about that ?

Thank you

Laz
  • First of all, I've never heard of a Hobie 15. Did you mean either a 14 or 16? Both boats would be very problematic to increase the beam. They both have a raised platform arrangement for the tramp that could create all kinds if structural problems if you made it wider. Both boats don't tack very well and an increased beam would make them even harder. And don't forget there are restrictions on how wide a boat can be for legal trailering. The last I heard it was 8.5 ft. Your best bet would be one of the roto molded Hobies. The Getaway for instance, is somewhat depowered and has a front trampoline.

QuoteI have read several technical articles, and I wonder if the solution would be to buy, for example, a Hobie cat 15 and increase the beam and reduce the sail.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • shortyfoxFirst of all, I've never heard of a Hobie 15. Did you mean either a 14 or 16?

https://www.hobie.com/xe/en/sail/hobie-15/

Thank you for your answer
  • QuoteI have read several technical articles, and I wonder if the solution would be to buy, for example, a Hobie cat 15 and increase the beam and reduce the sail.

Do-it-yourself catamarans like the wharram hitia 14 seem more stable: it's another solution but it would take me more time.

Beach cats are made to handle up to 20 knots of wind out of the box. you just need to sail it correctly and avoid heavy air when you have delicate crew

If you want a long project and have the skills / time & desire - build a boat - that wharram looks very wet, but wharram's are very stable and proved designs

If you want to get a modern boat "out of the box" and get another set of smaller sails (storm sails) for practice/tuning/heavy air ... this is a great idea. I sailed with 5.5 and 6.0 sails and had options in my sail plan. I loved that. If you have the funds ... go get a boat that fits your budget and needs (hobie15, nacra 570, etc.)
  • Quotehttps://www.hobie.com/xe/en/sail/hobie-15/

I stand corrected, this is the first I've heard of them. Looks nice, for one person or a beginner, but with kids, too small and probably very pricey. I still would recommend a Hobie Getaway. (I think that's the 16 ft one) Not too powerful, wings and front tramp. There's used ones out there and a lot of beach resorts have them for rentals. My sailing club rents them and gives lessons.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • The Hobie 15, to the best of my knowledge, is not available in North America. I think it might just be available in Europe, although the site you provided is international except for North America, so it might be available in Australia. Hobie sailing, now Start Line Sailing, is an international corporation, but that doesn't mean that all products are available in all countries. North American market has only the Getaway, Wave, and Hobie 16 available.

Jim Clark-Dawe

Edited by jclarkdawe on Jun 03, 2023 - 09:28 PM.
    Beach cats are made to handle up to 20 knots of wind out of the box. you just need to sail it correctly and avoid heavy air when you have delicate crew

Thank you for your answer.
    Yes I'm actually thinking about this option with the Hitia 17 (I bought the study plan)
    And I mind about an intermediate solution; based on plan of hitia 17 : build an hitia 17 based on old hobie hull ...

when I study the stability factor of hitia 17 and a hobie 17, the big difference come from of what we call "the center of effort and the beam ...

Laz
  • Look at the Hobie Wave. Good beginner's boat, absolutely fine for you and your son.
    I have a Getaway. I assume your son is small? Great boat, but if you're not an experienced sailor, it's a bit of a handful to sail solo. And hard to right if you capsize unless you're pretty big. I'm over 95 kg, and it's hard for me to right it solo.
    Now if your son is a teenager, and can help sail (ie, manage the jib at first), then the Getaway should be fine.
    As far as building a boat, have you built one before? And how much sailing experience do you have?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.