Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Bullet Blocks  Bottom

• Several weeks ago, I installed a barber haul system on my G-Cat. It works great but one little thing bothers me. The jib sheets run through steel rings that cause quite a bit of friction when under load. I know a bullet block with becket would be much better, so I looked at them. It's been a long time since I've bought sailboat hardware and I balked at the price. Because my jib sheets are 3\8ths I can't use little ones. Since the loads these will be under will be relatively light, should I consider Viadana or Ronstan? I've always been a Harken man, but I've spent way more on this boat than it's worth. One last thing: I've got a pair of Harken swivel cam cleats, the ones used for downhauls, brand new, never used. It would be nice to trade them for the pair of the blocks I want.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • I always used bullet bock with beckett
    you may try a lead block too - they are very low friction - i had one inside my boom for the outhaul system

https://www.mauriprosailing.com/mm5/Harken/images/pi/Oct-17/HAR3273_540x540.jpg
  • shortyfoxSeveral weeks ago, I installed a barber haul system on my G-Cat. It works great but one little thing bothers me. The jib sheets run through steel rings that cause quite a bit of friction when under load. I know a bullet block with becket would be much better, so I looked at them. It's been a long time since I've bought sailboat hardware and I balked at the price. Because my jib sheets are 3\8ths I can't use little ones. Since the loads these will be under will be relatively light, should I consider Viadana or Ronstan? I've always been a Harken man, but I've spent way more on this boat than it's worth. One last thing: I've got a pair of Harken swivel cam cleats, the ones used for downhauls, brand new, never used. It would be nice to trade them for the pair of the blocks I want.

I have used blocks with beckets but have been using stainless rings (about 2" diameter) recently on FrankenKitty. I am using the friction rings on the Nader. I find their efficiency depends on what line I'm using. The double braid ends to drag more than the 12-plat.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • QuoteSince the loads these will be under will be relatively light, should I consider Viadana or Ronstan?

foprgot to answer this - nothing wrong with ronstands except they are typically lower load SWL. since you aren't putting that much load on these as mentioned .... if you want to save a few bucks .... i wouldn't hesitate
  • You should also consider Nautos out of Florida.
    They are a Brazilian company, and the designers are retired from the Brazilian Aerospace industry.
    Brazil is the third largest producer of civil aircraft in the world, after Boeing and Airbus.
    Good quality hardware, and their prices were a bit under the rest, back when I bought from them.
    I have some of their blocks on my mainsheet, barber hauler and jib downhaul.
    My $0.02.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.