Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

daggerboards/centerboards vs. nothing  Bottom

• As someone who's never sailed a boat with daggerboards or centerboards, what's their advantage?
  • The advantage is (greatly) improved upwind ability. Daggerboards and centerboards are a lot more efficient at providing lateral resistance for upwind sailing as compared to assymetrical hulls or skegs.

The advantage of davgerboards is they are the more efficient than centerboards since the trunk in the hull is smaller, so less drag. The down side is that when they are up, you have the daggerboard sticking out the top of the hull, so it clutters the deck somewhat. Daggerboards are also totally unforgiving when it comes to hitting objects in the water or hitting bottom - they will be damaged.

Centerboards are somewhat less efficient than daggerboards since their shape is restricted by the size of the trunk you’re willing to put in the hull. The trunk also adds drag to the hull when the boardis down. But some designs can tolerate impact and riding up onto the beach since they will pivot up when they hit bottom.

The main advantage of boardless boats (assymetrical hull or skeg) is simplicity. You just push them into the water, put the rudders down, and you’re sailing. You can sail over just about anything and go right up onto the beach without need to pull up the boards. You also have instant leeway resistance as soon as the hull is in the water, so if you’re launching in surf with an onshore breeze, you don’t need to worry about getting a board down to start going forward.

sm
  • Good explanation - thank you!
  • I agree mostly with Dogboy on this one but would like to add a little bit. You might want to seriously consider where you are sailing and launching before making a choice. Where I sail, shallow water comes up fast and the water isn't all that clear. The other thing is beach launching solo with any kind of decent shore break is more problematic with boards, if a wave pushes you backwards and your rudders are down....It's long been known that U shaped hulls with high aspect ratio boards are the most efficient. Centerboards cannot be as efficient for obvious reasons but there is something else to consider when buying an older boat with centerboards. They have mechanism, a pivot and usually a friction catch to keep them down and with bigger trunks are sometimes prone to leaks. The upside, and it's a big one, is they kick up. Dagger boards can also damage the trunk as well as the board. In my experience the ability of a boat with boards to sail more close hauled that one without boards definitely exist but not as much as you might think. I know this from sailing my old, tired G-Cat with twenty-five-thousand-dollar Nacras for company. The trick is getting your weight forward as much as you dare and don't sail the boat flat. If you're sailing for just the pure enjoyment of it, a minor difference in how close winded you are is inconsequential. But the main thing is of course, get the best deal boards or no boards. And don't forget, you can always race under handicap rules anyway.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • One thing to add is boats with boards tend to be easier to tack. It provides a pivot point for the boat to turn around instead of pushing the entire side of the boat through the turn.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteThe trunk also adds drag to the hull when the boardis down.

On mysteres (and i THINK tornados) we use slot tape as a gasket so when the board is down, no water can get into the trunk = no extra drag
  • MN3
    QuoteThe trunk also adds drag to the hull when the boardis down.

On mysteres (and i THINK tornados) we use slot tape as a gasket so when the board is down, no water can get into the trunk = no extra drag

You are correct on the Naders. Ironically, gaskets are illegal on Prindles... I have found that on the Prindle's, it's more efficient to leave the boards down because of the large gap having them up leaves.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • westmattAs someone who's never sailed a boat with daggerboards or centerboards, what's their advantage?

The advantage comes from the leading edge of the board. Just like the leading edge of the headsail, the more vertical, the better upwind efficiency. The stubby centerboards on the Prindle 18-2 and 19 as well as the Tornado have their limits; mainly medium air. In big breeze, the stubby boards can produce enough efficiency to typically overcome the shape. I refer big breeze as wind over 18 knots. In this wind, I can typically hang with F18's upwind if not out point and/or speed them. In this wind, the boardless boats do very well also. The dagger boards do best in 5-12 knots of wind where they generate max lift. In the breeze

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • QuoteIronically, gaskets are illegal on Prindles

Is there a jail specifically for these Prindle bandits?
    pengpeng sniper

Edited by MN3 on Apr 27, 2023 - 07:38 PM.
  • MN3Is there a jail specifically for these Prindle bandits?

Not jail specifically, they are required to be race committee at the Hobie 16 Worlds for a decade.
    Many jump overboard and are never found...

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteNot jail specifically, they are required to be race committee at the Hobie 16 Worlds for a decade.

that is pretty harsh. mischuge

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.