Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 Trap question  Bottom

• Hi all. I bought a nice 1984 Hobie 16 with pretty much a stock set-up. It has a single trapeze system which is original equipment. I've been doing a lot of reading to supplement my limited experience but still can't figure out how the whole shock-cord system etc. releases the sailor in the event of a capsize or sudden pitchpole. I asked the previous owner but he couldn't explain it either. I haven't used the trapeze yet as I want to have this nagging question figured out first! Thanks in advance to any advisors out there.

One more question for the pros...I'm still having the boat stop dead in irons sometimes in the middle of coming about. Gybing is easier. Does anyone have any good advise or articles to suggest ? icon_confused
  • Looking for Hobie 16 sailors to help, but I can tell you there is nothing in the trap system meant to automatically release you. That's where the term "peter pan" comes from during a pitch pole, from swinging forward on the wire.

To improve your tacking, there is an article in the archives "Roll Tack a Hobie 16"

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • just start the tack close enough to the wind and don't release the jib until tack is completed.
    it also helps to release the main sheet some 20-40 cm just as you see the jib fills from the other side...hope I'm not confusing you..
    Ziv
  • Thanks Damon and Ziv...good info. The article is a big help. So if I'm getting the picture right about the trap, it is standard ops to be flung on the wire until you run out of slack or ricochet off a solid object ? If this is true, do you just unhook the dog bone once you land and start to right the boat ?
    Cheers, Tom
  • Quoteis standard ops to be flung on the wire until you run out of slack or ricochet off a solid object

LOL.... i am sure after you trap out a few times you will see that it is rare that you capsize or "hit solid objects". Just dont push the boat to hard the first few times on the wire. In the event of a pitch pole... yes you will be attached to the wire but they come off very easy.. just dont panic.

If you are completely in fear of being sucked under with a sinking Hobie16 (not possible) than you can spend a few 100 on a quick release harness system from Murray's.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.