Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

5.7 G-Cat help and advice  Bottom

• New to this site and beach cat sailing in general so I’m hoping I can find someone here to give me a hand. I recently bought a 5.7 G-Cat but it’s a bit of a fixer upper. It has good sails and the standing rigging all seems to be intact but I need all new running rigging, a main sheet system, drain plugs, trampolines, and whatever advice I can get. I also don’t have any idea about trapeze or shock lines. I’ve only ever rented sailing cats in the past so everything is very new to me so please be patient. Thank you in advance
  • Welcome and I look forward to seeing you on the water...

Edited by danielt1263 on Jan 01, 2023 - 04:19 PM.
  • Quote but I need all new running rigging, a main sheet system, drain plugs, trampolines,

Avoid west marine - very pricey, box store - doesn't support local sailing community

running rigging (mainsheet, jibsheet, downhaul), plugs and main blocks
    All can be purchased locally or online
    Local: I support my buddy at YachtRigger https://theyachtrigger.com/ in st pete - Or you can go to Tackle Shack in Pinellas Park
    Online: Murrays.com
    Check this site's classified ads for used main blocks to save a bundle

Trampoline: the best (but not cheap) one by far is also local https://multihullnets.com/ - site says they don have them in stock

Or try tampa trampolines (site sponsor) - https://tampacatamarans.com/

I STRONGLY suggest against slo sail and canvas as they took an tramp from me as a template and never did the job and never returned the tramp i sent them - I know other have had good experiences with them but they can go eat a bag of dicks as far as i am concerned (the tramp i sent them as a template wasn't mine so i ended up paying for it and still having to get a new one made

Edited by MN3 on Jan 01, 2023 - 01:47 PM.
  • West marine is expensive and they probably have never heard of a G cat but they do know their stock. I've stopped in several times and explained what I was trying to do. They may not be able to help but often they have suggested things (or other customers overheard the conversation and suggested things) that were just the ticket. Once they called me 2 days later after browsing old lewmar catalogs when their computer was no help.
    I'm one of those who had a good experience with Slo.
  • danielt1263Welcome and I look forward to seeing you on the water...Edited by danielt1263 on Jan 01, 2023 - 04:19 PM.

Thanks hopefully I can get her back together and sailing soon
  • Does anyone happen to know if the original mainsheet system was 6:1 or what? I can’t seem to find that information anywhere
  • I was very pleased with tampacatamarans.com
    Very decent company, purchased a hobie 16 tramp from them.
  • The original mainsheet was a 6:1 and in my opinion that's not enough. 8:1 much better. You've probably already done this, Google G-Cat and there's like an owner's association on Facebook. In your quest for parts, be aware that the 5.7 and the 5.0 use a lot of the same parts.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • https://www.tackleshack.com

--
    Todd Elozory
    H18
    H21SE
    Hobie Mirage Tandem Island
    Catalina 22
    Thonotosassa, Florida
    --
  • QuoteIn your quest for parts, be aware that the 5.7 and the 5.0 use a lot of the same parts.

Different sized rear tramps (same size front tramp). More jib sheet needed for 5.7 . 6:1 probably fine for the short mast. 8:1 better for the full size mast. (the more purchase the more sheets on your tramp when sheeted in)
  • QuoteThanks hopefully I can get her back together and sailing soon

If you have any rigging/sailing questions....
    Go to the Dunedin Causeway around noon (or when the Seabreeze kicks in) almost any good day and talk to the guy rigging his mainsail (Rey). He is almost always sailing ( good weather / fri-sun) and knows everything about g-cats - he may be the fastest man ever on a g-cat and has sailed his (probably) over 4000 days
  • This might be a big ask but I’m currently getting estimates from some local shops for running rigging and I genuinely have no idea what I really need as there was nothing left of the old stuff. They’re asking about the halyards for the main and jib and other such clearly important things and personally I’m not sure what I need and don’t need as finding any info on Google grows increasingly difficult. Does anyone here know have any clue about what I’ll need so I can tell these places and get accurate estimates? Thank you in advance
  • They also asked if the sheet was one continues length or if it had two which I wasn’t sure how to answer.
  • Follow MN3's advice and go to the Dunedin Causeway and look for a 5.7. Perhaps the owner would let you take measurements. On January 9th I posted some advice on how to approximate the mainsheet and jib sheet length for a SC17. Approximating the halyard lengths is a bit more complicated because they are part wire and part line, plus the main halyard has to have a swage a few feet from its top and it has to be in the exact right place. You could figure this out by putting your mast on two sawhorses and using some cheap cordage to determine lengths, but it would be so much easier to get your measurements from an existing boat.

The mainsheet is most commonly one length, part of it used for the traveler. In the event the plastic rollers on the traveler car are missing, there will be more friction where the mainsheet passes through the car. You can use a smaller diameter for the traveler for less friction. Tie it to the end of the mainsheet and the knot will act as a stop in an uncontrolled jibe and prevent damage to the stops on each end of the traveler track.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • For simplicity sake, running rigging off a Hobie 18 will work, my jib sheet setup is off a Hobie 18, it is continuous. A Nacra 5.7 main halyard is a dead match, locks in perfect position. Mainsheet diameter is a matter of preference, some use 3\8" but many of use prefer slightly smaller. I believe my length is 46 feet. I can measure, take pics or whatever you need of my Gcat 5.7 if it is helpful.
  • jalexFor simplicity sake, running rigging off a Hobie 18 will work, my jib sheet setup is off a Hobie 18, it is continuous. A Nacra 5.7 main halyard is a dead match, locks in perfect position. Mainsheet diameter is a matter of preference, some use 3\8" but many of use prefer slightly smaller. I believe my length is 46 feet. I can measure, take pics or whatever you need of my Gcat 5.7 if it is helpful.

It would be incredibly helpful. It’s difficult with my work schedule and the 7 year old to really get out to somewhere like Dunedin causeway to talk directly to anyone so what you’re offering is exactly what I was hoping for. You sir are a saint. Also thank you for the information provided.
  • You can get the wire portions of N5.7 halyards from Murrays Watersports. When using mainsheet lengths from another 5.7, don't forget to take into account the purchase of the mainsheet blocks, you may have a 6 to one, and jalex may have an 8 to one.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • QuoteIt’s difficult with my work schedule and the 7 year old to really get out to somewhere like Dunedin causeway to talk directly to anyone so what you’re offering is exactly what I was hoping for. You sir are a saint. Also thank you for the information provided.

join the facebook group. It is "managed" by Hans Geissler - the (very retired) fabricator of Gcats and until a few years ago, was still sailing gcats VERY fast/well in dunedin. Someone on that group will have measurements but so will Murray's.com Call and order from them and save yourself all the guesswork -or buy local at a small sailing shop (Tackle Shack in Pinellas Park)

Edited by MN3 on Jan 16, 2023 - 09:18 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.