Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

UV damage to trampolines.  Bottom

• Here's something I discovered a couple of years ago that may help those of you that store your boats in the sun and don't want to bother with covers. A couple of years ago I bought new front and rear tramps for a G-Cat from Sunrise Yacht Products. The rear tramp I installed, and I decided to not use the front tramp for the time being. After two years, I decided to put the front tramp on and low and behold, the tramp that had been in the sun for two years still looked almost as new as the one that had never been used. That's because every 4 to 6 weeks I sprayed it with this product called "Formula 303". I used to have a convertible with a vinyl top and the car dealer told me about it. For what it's worth, it worked for me, and I sprayed it heavily on stitched areas. The only downside being it left the tramp slippery but that went away after the first use.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • I use 303 on my bimini tops to help reseal them. I would have thought it may be slick. I had a friend that was selling his 5.2 many years ago and he sprayed the tramp with Armor All. I had forgotten (he probably didn't) he had done that and we went sailing... It was a good thing we had the bar down the middle.. I did cross the tramp very quickly...

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • i slid off my cat during a jybe in a very sharky part of the gulf (I had just used sunscreen on both legs) - no one around, held onto my mainsheet and prevented a ghost ride/capsize

I have ridden bikes with and without motors all my life - you do not put slick stuff on a bike seat, and i would never on a catamaran tramp or wing - ymmv
  • Yeah, it will make the tramp slippery right after you apply it but sunscreen for your skin is not a fair comparison. I gave up putting sunscreen on my body for that very same reason. I wear a long-sleeved, tight weave shirt and my legs be damned, already made that mistake. But take it from me the slippery effect on the tramp won't last long, one sail and the slippery will be mostly gone, and the UV protection will remain. I've used it for years and I know it works. No big deal to just try it, maybe just on the stitched areas because the thread (unless it's teflon) won't last as long as the polypropylene. Of course, it's better to cover but your tramp but will stay looking like new with 303, especially when you go to sell it.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • QuoteBut take it from me the slippery effect on the tramp won't last long, one sail and the slippery will be mostly gone,

I have and use 303 -
    I would NEVER EVER EVER (EVER) use it on a trampoline
    I have a tarp covering my boat - blocks 100% of the UV without any chance of ejecting skipper or crew off the boat

we used to kid around that we would apply that to everyone but (MY) boat during a skippers meeting pre race

glad it works for you, i would never (ever, ever) do that - you recommending it with the caveat that is will be slippery but mostly gone after one use is .... well let's just say - i hope no body tries this and has an issue "before" the slippery / dangerous conditions dissipate - ymmv
  • My Stinkpot manual states to use 303 on all the vinyl upholstery. They specifically warn against Armour All, I have no idea if they have a commercial agreement with 303.
    It works, & I don’t find it slippery. More is not better, follow the directions, wipe it dry right after application.
    Years ago I used Armour All on motorcycle seats, that was a mistake.
    However, for my Cats, I side with MN3. On the Nacra & Dart, I use an old tramp from the N5.7. The H18 uses a silver tarp.
    I just rig an S hook on two front corners, short bungee with S hooks on the back two. It takes about 30 seconds to install after sailing. Also keeps the droppings from the purple Martin colony on my dock off the boat.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I've messed around with tarps over the years, and it always comes back to the same problem. Here in Southwest Florida, it rains so frequently in the Summer that fixing the boat cover where the water doesn't puddle on it can be time consuming at best. The idea of using an old tramp to cover your good tramp is an idea I hadn't thought of, and it makes sense because puddling will not be an issue. Now this led to another idea. As a gardener, I'm aware of shade cloth and I know it's made of polypropylene mesh just like a tramp. I also know you can get it up to 80% sun filter and you can buy it in bulk or if memory suits me, precut sections that are hemmed with grommets. Don't confuse it with frost cloth. Just wondering if anyone has ever considered this as a viable alternative?

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • I use an old tramp, but it doesn't cover some edges because you just can't stretch it. Otherwise, I just attach with some scrap bungee cord and it seems to prevent a lot of deterioration here in PA.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • shortyfoxI've messed around with tarps over the years, and it always comes back to the same problem. Here in Southwest Florida, it rains so frequently in the Summer that fixing the boat cover where the water doesn't puddle on it can be time consuming at best. The alternative?

I saw that the first season I used a tarp.
    I used a hot nail & simply melted a few holes in the tarp. Melt as many as you need, even twenty 1/8” holes won’t affect the shading capabilities.

Edited by Edchris177 on Dec 26, 2022 - 10:11 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • MN3i slid off my cat during a jybe in a very sharky part of the gulf (I had just used sunscreen on both legs) - no one around, held onto my mainsheet and prevented a ghost ride/capsize

I have ridden bikes with and without motors all my life - you do not put slick stuff on a bike seat, and i would never on a catamaran tramp or wing - ymmv

Oh yea, we realized the issue very quickly and laugh about it today 30 years later.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • shortyfoxI've messed around with tarps over the years, and it always comes back to the same problem. Here in Southwest Florida, it rains so frequently in the Summer that fixing the boat cover where the water doesn't puddle on it can be time consuming at best. The idea of using an old tramp to cover your good tramp is an idea I hadn't thought of, and it makes sense because puddling will not be an issue. Now this led to another idea. As a gardener, I'm aware of shade cloth and I know it's made of polypropylene mesh just like a tramp. I also know you can get it up to 80% sun filter and you can buy it in bulk or if memory suits me, precut sections that are hemmed with grommets. Don't confuse it with frost cloth. Just wondering if anyone has ever considered this as a viable alternative?

I have sections of sunshade for different reasons, but have never thought about using it for trampoline shade. It would be more helpful for mitigating wind. We have same issue with big frequent rains in SE Texas. I found that the 10'x10' tarp at West Marine is cheaper than Home Depot and I use 1" PVC side-to-side to keep from puddling. I think the sunshade would be worth a try, but with the same issue as all commercial tarps; grommets pull out. I would suggest adding some webbing straps on the grommets to extend their life.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.