Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Fastest 18 Foot Catamaran  Bottom

• I'm interested in learning little about 18'beachcats. Considering buying one. Already have F-31. This is would be for towing to a distant location and leaving it for future use when going there.

Obviously weight, low maintenance and ability to install a very small kicker are considerations.

I live in SWFlorida
  • So, maybe a direct question might get a response. Maybe you guys are too busy sailing to (((TALK))) about your boats. On the F-Boat forum there is a lot of that.

Q-Will someone boast which is the fastest 18' cat?

Q-Do you guys have a used boat for sale site?
  • Could be you didn't get response because you posted in the Test Post forum. I moved this thread to the Getting Started forum, but can't change the title. Why did you name your post "Test Post"?

Anyway, for 18 foot beachcats you have a lot of choices, the Hobie 18, the Nacra 5.2 and 5.8, Prindle 18, just depends on your budget and what's available at the time. I'm assuming budget is not a problem for someone with an F-31! In that case look at the Hobie Tiger or any of the F18 models from Nacra, will you want to race it? Makes a difference.

Fastest 18? There is an all carbon 18 footer called the CFR that is probably the fastest, rare and expensive.

Used boats for sale? How did you miss the classified ads here on the site?
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ifieds/showcat.php?cat=1
    Put in your zip code and you'll see how far each boat is from you.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • just to clarify the 5.8 is a 19 foot boat, and the only CFR that I know of is a 20 footer.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Ok, picky-picky. icon_wink

I spit those out off the top of my head 17-18-19 big whoop!

So you forced me to look at the portsmouth ratings, thunderstorming here so can't go sailing and can't do yardwork, and the heat index is 105, so browsing the web seems like the thing to do.

The 2008 Multihull Portsmouth Ratings are on the US Sailing site at
    http://www.ussailing.org/…/tables08/tables08mh.asp

Fastest rated 18(ish) beachcats.

Boat Name -- Base Portsmouth Rating

Formula 18HT Uni spi 2up -- 60
    Hobie Tiger ODR spi -- 62.1
    Formula 18 (F18) Slp spi -- 62.4
    A Class Cat -- 64.5
    Nacra 18 Slp spi (NI18) -- 64.6
    Mystere 5.5 Slp -- 66.2
    Prindle 18-2 -- 69.1
    A Class Cat >200# all-up -- 70.5
    Nacra 570 2-up -- 70.5
    Hobie SX-18 spi -- 71.3
    Hobie 18 & 18 Magnum -- 71.4
    Prindle 18 -- 74.8
    Dart 18 Slp 2-up -- 76.3
    Dart 18 Uni 1-up -- 78.7

This is just from the ones listed as active fleets, there are probably other 18 footers still out there.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • i dont think being "fastest" is anywhere's near as important as other factors... parts, whats available in your area, what others sail (for class racing) sceg/dagger/centerboards... which is best for your conditions.... etc...
  • I find that speed is relative to conditions anyway. I own an alley cat (no longer made) 5.7. It is a very smooth riding cat and robust in design. Who cares if a boat is so fast that one cannot comfortably ride it in two plus foot seas?

Firm hulls (especially on top... no spongy decks) are a must when the wind is trying to submerge the bow to pitch pole.

Since boats have to deal with a constantly changing riding surface, speed is not as important as control. Sailing is about using the wind to it's max.... safely. Righting a cat is a hassle and a potential hazard. A friend of mine flipped his hobie 18 in an inlet where there was significant tide flow... his mast stabbed the bottom and bent it... going for speed when control was the order of the day.

Enjoy the motion... no matter how slow or fast. I find that it is much more of a challenge to sail in light winds with currents than fast water moving over the control surfaces.

Keep dry

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.