Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Launch Places in the area...  Bottom

• I plan to maiden my new catamaran during the Thanksgiving holidays, and I'm trying to decide where... To that end I would love to hear your favorites. I will edit this list as more comes in:

• Abu Saba Beach (Near Clearwater Community Sailing Center)
    • Dunedin Causeway
    • Courtney Campbell Causeway Beach ?
    • Gulfport Yacht Club (must be a member of the club.)
    • Gandy Beach ?
    • Green Key Road, near Green Key Beach

Are there any good spots in Hillsborough or Pasco?

Edited by danielt1263 on Nov 17, 2022 - 12:13 PM.
  • I'm in St Pete, still looking for a good launching spot not too far. Gulfport has a club, but you have to be a member and insured to launch in Boca Ciega Bay. North Shore park used to have a launching beach but that has been reconfigured.

I've been talking to Rich Floyd (Richie.Floyd@stpete.org) to find a launching place. He used to be a catamaran guy, he was trying to get us access to Maximo beach. Still pending. You may want to reach out to him, the more demand, the better. This area could really use a launching beach. He mentioned Gandy beach, but I've also read about a lot of rocks in that area.

--
    Caroline
    Nacra 5.2
    St Pete, FL
    --
  • Green Key Rd is in Pasco and perfect launch spot for Durney Key
  • jalexGreen Key Rd is in Pasco and perfect launch spot for Durney Key

Do you mean on the north side of the road, just east of the park or are you talking further inland?
  • danielt1263
    jalexGreen Key Rd is in Pasco and perfect launch spot for Durney Key

Do you mean on the north side of the road, just east of the park or are you talking further inland?

North side of the road just east of the park
  • dunedin causeway is catsailing mecca
    public launch area - overnight permits avail at the rec center for 10/weekend 100/year
    islands to sail to (I am just back from 8 days island camping)
    other cat sailors on the beach to ask advice/help
  • My boat is on its way from East Coast Sailboats now. It will be here tomorrow the 20th. Unfortunately, the trailer hitch install fell through today and now can't happen until Wednesday the 23rd.

All this is to say that I will be taking my new Cat on her maiden on thanksgiving day. I expect I will be there alone. If so, that's fine. It will give me a chance to look dumb without an audience. It's fine if I have company too. That will give me a chance to ask for help so I'm less likely to look dumb.
  • what kind of cat?
    where do you live?
    Do you have experience rigging / sailing cats?

Edited by MN3 on Nov 21, 2022 - 08:45 AM.
  • I bought a Topcat K4X and live in Westchase (Tampa.) I had a Taipan (F-16) a while back but always kept it mast up at the CCSC (where I've been a member for over 20 years.)

So I have plenty of experience sailing them, but very little in rigging them, and no experience with this particular boat which is new and practically out of the box. Hardy at East Coast Sailboats did as much as he could before shipping it down, but I still have a box full of wires and lines to sort through... I have detailed instructions with photos...

I have no idea if I can step the mast single handed, I'm going to have to do a bunch of experimentation to figure out the best way to do that. Hell, my first time at the beach will probably mean hours of sorting and fiddling.

Also, I need to shorten the trailer by about 3 feet to get it to fit in my garage. Lot's to do yet!
  • gotcha -
    You CAN solo step, but it may take you a while to get a system down to do it.

if i was in town i would meet you at the causeway and help

Edited by MN3 on Nov 23, 2022 - 08:28 AM.
  • There is a concession on Dunedin Causeway that rents trimarans and cats. I would not hesitate to offer some money for an assist with the mast. Also, lots of people are always at that spot, and it's hard to imagine you could not find someone to assist as long as you have all the rigging figured out in advance. The main and jib halyards can be recruited to hold a mast in position while you make final adjustments on a forestay.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • QuoteThere is a concession on Dunedin Causeway that rents trimarans and cats. I would not hesitate to offer some money for an assist with the mast.

Ask for Glenn - he is the owner of the rental shack/food area - He is a cat sailor and will either help or tell you to bugger off -

Quote Also, lots of people are always at that spot, and it's hard to imagine you could not find someone to assist as long as you have all the rigging figured out in advance.

I would be VERY careful asking a non cat sailor for help. Most people are willing but clueless and may do more harm than help. If you don't know what you are doing you have a much higher chance at making an error and possibly dropping a mast. Non sailors don't understand the risks and increase the risk of injury

DO ask any other cat sailors around for help - they are usually very willing
  • I agree with MN3 however, I have had non cat sailor assistance. I have reached the point that I only need to have someone support the top of the mast while I set the mast step then lift. At that point I can support the mast with the jib halyard while setting the forestay in the bridle.

I have seen many cats being rigged in the parking lot at Dunedin Causeway, and more often than not I'm sure you can find help there just showing up. I don't know if you have beach wheels, but they are a really good accessory for moving your boat off the trailer and onto the beach.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.