Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Custom Logos on Boats  Bottom

• I am looking to get a custom logo made based from the Radio Flyer logo for my Nacra. Can anyone share their experience with custom graphics? I have two vector .PNG files I want blended together. I suppose I need to higher a graphic designer on the web to make the final image for ~$50 and then take the vector file to a graphic shop. Any material preferences?

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • I've been using Gerber or 3M exterior sign vinyl and it seems to work relatively awesome. I believe it's pretty much a lettering/graphic standard. Make sure you talk to your sign shop/vinyl cutter first and see what kind of vector graphic/file format he needs it in and what version before you talk to a graphic artist type. I know there are legit on-line services that will convert any graphic for you to a vectored Graphic for cheap - like $25 or so. Typically done for T-shirt printers. I've not used them, personally.

I've been lucky with Inkscape for converting jpg's over to (svg, I think?), then using the svg file in the software that came with our plotter, which has a LOT to be desired.

But, make sure you get fresh, name brand vinyl so you have good adhesive. Also, see if the sign shop will weed the graphic (should be included) and go ahead and lay out the transfer tape for you so all you have to do is clean, dry, peel, and apply.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Any issues for putting it on white AwlGrip? My whole boat was painted a few years ago.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Nope! Mine's on Blue Perfection. ACTUALLY, it sticks even better, because it's more easily cleaned/prepped.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • The cast vinyl is 7 year and the cheaper/thicker calendared vinyl is 5 year.
    png files are bitmap not vector. a good sign shop should be able to do the photoshop/illustrator work that you require. Illustrator can trace a bitmap in seconds, giving you the paths for the cutter. or as mention there are free web apps that do the same.
  • Yup - That's what I use Inkscape for. It's got a decent tracing program. Kind of takes a bit to figure out, but does the job for relatively simple vinyl cuts. You then delete the JPG or BMP in the background and your left with vectored line art that you can save in various formats.

Illustrator, though is more of the industry standard, I think... I know I hear about it more.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Quote Also, see if the sign shop will weed the graphic

what does this mean?
  • "Weeding" is the process of peeling out the vinyl you don't want after the plotter cuts the pattern out. It leaves just the logo behind on the release paper. This is usually done for the customer and they may never know about it. After that, you have to get "transfer tape" that you lay over the entire logo, squeegee it down, peel off the transfer tape and the logo comes off with it, ready to be placed down on your boat hull, perfectly. Hopefully. You can also use a specialized surfactant (something like soap) spray that allows you to squeegee out bubbles before it sticks, much like old fashioned water decals on models.

Had to learn all that stuff just to make our own custom safety signs at work... It also works for laminate sails, BTW. Which reminds me, I need to cut out some new logos for my new sail.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • gotcha - i have worked with digital graphics professionally for 25 years and never heard that term. I did some logo work and even adding logo's to singlets but never cut out anything from a plotter

thanks for the info -
  • Good to know someone with that background. I haven't done much on the graphics side, but a lot on the cut, peel and apply side and am now venturing into more CNC applications on the larger format side of things (5 feet by 10 feet). Might hit you up on advice in the future.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • charlescarlisI haven't done much on the graphics side, but a lot on the cut, peel and apply side

I hear you.
    I'm more on the sit, open, and drink side of things. icon_cool

Edited by klozhald on Aug 05, 2022 - 04:04 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.