Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

"Save a Sail" Kit?  Bottom

• New-ish to cat sailing but have sailed many years past on Lasers/small dinghys.
    Long-time diver.
    We have something called a "save-a-dive kit" in the diving world. It consists of stupid little things that could save an otherwise wasted trip - an extra slap strap, snorkel, rubber connecting pieces, etc. Little stuff that you would not think you would need, until it breaks/gets lost and then it is uber important.

Does anyone have such a list for sailing? I am thinking extra snap shackles, bungee cord, etc. I am taking my first cat sail out in a few weeks and was just thinking about what I dont know yet that I might need an extra bit of.

THanks!
  • Extra pins & shackles, ring dings and any other small hardware used in rigging that disappears forever if dropped on grass or in 6 inches of water. I like to keep a 30 foot piece of 3mm dynema or similar to tie things together enough to get back to shore if something breaks on the water. All this fits in the little water tight box I keep my phone & keys in. A paddle and whistle may be handy.
  • Quote A paddle and whistle may be handy.

whistle or similar is required by coast guard regs

I always sail with an anchor, paddle, water, sunscreen, extra line, knife, throwable pdf (also required by law)
    Anchor is very helpfull righting in a capsize and may save your boat from sailing away (i know 2 guys who demasted in the gulf and spent the nights floating away from land with no sunscreen/water)

I typically have a small fist aid kit with plenty of bandaids and blood stop powder (lots of sharp edges and items just waiting to cut me - i used to bleed every time i rigged/sailed and so do many others around me in my fleet)

I usually also have a small tool kit with philips/flat and a small spanner wrench and as mentioned extra pins, ringdings and a shackle.
  • Quotethrowable pdf (also required by law)

I am going to need a picture of all of this on your boat. I make everyone have a jacket on the shoulders while sailing. Buttoned up if it actually starts to blow. Whistles on each jacket as required for some regattas.

In lieu of a metal anchor I made a drogue. Drops the drift to a 1/4 knot. Otherwise, I match MN3 and Windflower.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • You may get better answers if you specify your boat model. For instance, I don't take my Hobie 16 anywhere without spare rudder cams. It's 20 cents worth of plastic (formed into a $20 part) that is easily replaced. If broken, it will ruin your day, entire weeks' vacation at the beach, or whatever.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • rch701
    Quotethrowable pdf (also required by law)

I am going to need a picture of all of this on your boat.

Paddle is tucked between the rear beam and tramp, the throwable pdf is the white square pad on the front beam - attached to hiking strap with a plastic clip for easy removal and throwing - sitting under my second righting bag (orange bag)

Tools are in a water tight container in the hatch - anchor is deployed but stored on a "net" front tramp i have (not being used in this pic), water is on deck or in cooler, phone is in a dry bag in pdf, everything elsse is in a dry bag somewhere (either attached on the deck or in a hatch)

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=136886&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by MN3 on Aug 03, 2022 - 08:25 AM.
  • The anchor line can also be used as a tow line in case you need a rescue. Figure out in advance how to attach it in both cases, the center of the front beam is not the right place, the boat won't follow the line but will tend to sail perpendicular to it. You want to attach the line further forward, for instance at the forestay-bridles connection, or have dedicated bridles. Then figure out how you will through the line and (mentally) practice before sailing. There is a special type of rope that floats, if you miss the rescue boat then they are able to grab it anyway.
    You should carry some of the safety tools with you in case you are separated from the boat. So get a pfd with a pocket. I carry the cell phone on a dry case and a knife with me, both inside the pfd pocket with a safety lanyard. I used to have them hanging around my neck but that can fail in many ways.
  • Also know how to coil or store your anchor/tow line, if it gets tangled when you deploy it it may be annoying and dangerous. I have it in a mesh bag with both ends out and coiled using this method
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcHoXpHi5yU
    It may also be stuffed in the bag without coiling it. Just don't coil it the traditional or obvious way, because it will get tangled.
  • QuoteAlso know how to coil or store your anchor/tow line,

+1

Like all other sharp and metal items on your boat - having your anchor can save you ... and can kill you .... use (and stow) with care

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.