Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Trailer Question  Bottom

• Any suggestions for replacing rubber strap on Trailer that holds mast on front? This is original (38 yrs old) and just concerned based on deteriorating material. See picture with link below (my understanding is I can't upload a picture).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DRzTZDgcqpNWHwHq5

--
    Dave R.
    Grand Haven, MI
    '84 Prindle 16
    --
  • A piece of self-adhering indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowe's or Home Depot should do the trick.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • +1 on the carpet
    I see lots of bungee on that yoke - i would suggest bungee has no place securing spars
    in an unforeseen occurrence, that bungee isn't gonna stop that mast from breaking free, a small piece of good line would ..

I once snagged a low branch on my mast (above my car roof), bungee broke, mast swung out and hit a parked car window - that was the last time i used bungee to secure anything of value/ and or could kill someone

Before i started to sail at my local spot, someone had a mast break free, swing and impale an oncoming car - the person died from this injury - ymmv

Edited by MN3 on Jul 18, 2022 - 05:18 PM.
  • Wow! Mast jousting. Now those were the bad old days. As far as cushion, lots of things will work, but I agree some simple line is better for securing the mast than a bungee.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I use a 1” NRS strap and a rubber bungee to hold my masts to the cradles. Strap makes sure it stays attached, bungee to keep pressure on them to prevent slipping and rattling.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Best I've found is fire hose. I get a full length strip, about 18-24", and slit the outside that would go over the supports. Stitch the slit back together. No further attachment needed.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • Tractor Supply Company has rubber barn matting 1/2 thick 3×5 mat. Cut a strip off that. You can make it a little wider than original Works good thats what I used.
  • Tractor Supply Company has rubber barn matting 1/2 thick 3×5 mat. Cut a strip off that. You can make it a little wider than original Works good thats what I used.
  • Mast jousting............
    Late 70's incident. Bungies holding the front of mast and they broke. Mast went thru the windshield of an oncoming car impaling a passenger in the back seat. She died.
    DO NOT USE BUNDGIES OF ANY TYPE TO SECURE MASTS!!!!!!
    I don't know the full outcome but I do know the sailor spent a lot of time in the box.

When I see sailors securing the front of the mast with a bungie, I walk over and quickly tell the story and wait for them to change them out.

--
    Master UniRig Sailor
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.