Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hull pressurizing.  Bottom

• I just re-furbished a Supercat 17. I sealed everything up very well, but I noticed when I pulled the drain plug after sailing, alot of pressure had built up. Seems like damage could take place if left to build further. Best place to vent? Or is a valve available?
    Thanks in advance!
  • My SC17 has a tiny, maybe 1/8" hole in the very top of both transoms. I never knew what is was there for but perhaps it's a vent.
  • i had the same thing on my 5.5. deck lid would occasionally "pop" like a soda top

i drilled a VERY small hole in one of my deck lid - prob solved - min drilling, no way a lot of water was getting in, even if upside down and epoxy will fill that hole if ever needed
  • SC19My SC17 has a tiny, maybe 1/8" hole in the very top of both transoms. I never knew what is was there for but perhaps it's a vent.

Same thing with the Classic Prindles and was told they are vent holes to keep the hulls from exploding. Was recommended to me to store the boat with the deck lids lose and the drain plugs in. I asked why the drain plugs in, and it may be an urban legend, but it seems the bees like those small openings for nesting.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Quote... I asked why the drain plugs in, and it may be an urban legend, but it seems the bees like those small openings for nesting.

Not legend, truth! I find wasp nests inside my hulls often. I now use scraps of door screen mesh and push in a few inches of it in my drain plug holes. I can still drop a cotton wick out of the hole and plug it with screen door mesh and it will drain, wick, and keep out the critters. I made venting decklids years ago with some pvc pipe and screen door mesh, i made a u shape tube so it was rain proof vent with 2" pvc parts
  • I keep my boats in a hangar. No critters.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.