Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H18  Bottom

• Hello!

Now to this site and getting back into sailing. I'm in the Annapolis area and looking around I found an H18 no idea of the year. I'm in the process of doing my homework and wanted to see if there were any areas of significant concern I have to pay close attention?

The cat has been somewhat neglected for the past few years and it has been exposed to the elements in a yard/shop. I was able to look inside the hulls and both had some water in it. Seeing this I removed the plugs, the cat was not flat and the water did not drain, unless there is a compartment/bulkhead I don't know of (very possible!!). I notices a little bit of crazing around the cross bars but figured this is a "normal" thing. The trampoline was taught but quite sun faded, I moved 1 of the straps and the color difference was very stark.

The rudder and the standing rigging was there, but looking back I wish I would have taken a pic or paid closer attention. The running rigging was nowhere to be seen.

As for the trailer ... it is there! Flat tires but that is all I paid attention to. LOL

The yard owner told me he has the dagger boards and will look for the sails.

Thanks in advance for your time, help and guidance!

-J
  • Try to find out the year (last two digits of the serial number engraved on the hull transom). These boats went through a bit of evolution in the 30 or so years that they were manufactured. Early boats were heavy, mid-80’s boats had some hull “issues”, later boats were generally quite good.

As far as draining out water, there are no bulkheads in the hull, but you will need to tip the bow up a few feet in the air to get every last drop out of the hull. It’s also possible something is clogging the plug.

sm
  • Press down firmly on all parts of the top of the hulls, especially in front of the forward crossbar and behind the rear crossbar. If you feel any softness or hear cracking the foam core is breaking down and will need to be repaired. Also look at the mast step. The early boats had a two rivet step that loosened up and wallowed out
    holes. The 4 rivet step can be installed. Also look closely at the gudgeons on the transom to see if there is
    any damage from the rudders having hit something. They are tough boats, but are getting really old now.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Also check where the cross bars attach to the hulls. This can be a weak spot as well. Look got cracks around where the top lip meets the hull.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Thanks for the good comments and things to do. I was able to go to take a closer and better look today. If there is a away for me to upload pics let me know and I will, a pic is worth 1000 words.

To make a long story short. There are some soft spots and some crunching posts on both hulls. The standing rigging looked OK at best and I did not see any rust. The only place i saw some rust was where the chain plates are on the hull. As well there is some gel coat that is missing, small chips. I supposed this can be one of the water ingress points into the hull. Both hulls looked and felt like they had some rash at the very bottom where the dagger boards would come out of. The running rigging is completely gone ($250ish USD) and some of the eyelids for the trampoline are in rough shape ($400 icon_frown ). The HIN is CCMH6482M82I, correct me if I'm wrong, this is a 1982 boat. I remember reading that 80's boats had some problems.

I's starting to think that if its not a "free" boat or the cost of the paperwork for the registration this might not be worth it ... since nothing is really free! With my limited knowledge I can see there is going to have to be some decent work to be done on the hulls. I have some friends that can help and teach me but then its a matter of making the time to fix the boat.

Keep the comments and suggestions coming!

Again thanks for your time and help!

-J
  • Personally I would pass. I picked up a similar Hobie 18, did the deck repairs, new rigging, new jib, added a spin kit etc. In the end, only the trailer was worth the price of admission (Trailex). When I added up the cost of the bits needed to get her in the water, I could have found a used F18 for the same money! I would have had a 2000’s boat vs. a 40 year old 1980’s boat that has been neglected for much of that time.

The real issue is once the foam starts breaking down, it’s only a matter of time before it completely fails.

One thought for you, if you’re up for crewing, is to make your way down to West River Sailing Club. I know 1 F18 sailor and 1 N20 sailor looking for regular crew for the season. I also know of a top-shelf N20 for sale locally. If interested, PM me.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.