Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H16 or Wave?  Bottom

• I'm a huge guy (250 pounds) with three kids and a women buddy who wish to sail with me. I now own a 14' monohull but would like to upgrade to a cat. In the shallow Indian River river, the cat does better.That was back when... I had an H14, but it would virtually sink with me and two kids on board. My competence level was shaky, and my children were too little to assist me in stepping the mast. Then I had a Sunfish, which was a lot of fun, but it only had room for one other sailor.
    I'm thinking about either an H16 or a Hobie Wave. My children are now a little older, and my married daughter has become an enthusiastic H16 sailor. I'm still a little concerned about the power of an H16, but I suppose I can equip it in light winds with an old H14 sail I still have. Can anyone recommend the Hobie Wave for me and my circumstances? Should I just go ahead and purchase a 16 and grow into it? If anyone has any suggestions, I'd want to obtain a strong grasp on the carrying capacity of all of these ships.

-------------------------
    https://skipgroup.pl/
  • Both have a capacity of 800lbs according the documentation. Wave Capacity: 800lbs/362kg (US) / 529lbs/240kg (EU)
    The Wave is the slower but easier to handle if solo, rotomolded for more protection, boom-less.
    So if you are really would like more the cat feel I would go the 16 route. If you desire to have family time I would go for the Wave but if all possible look into the Getaway to have a more leisurely time.

It really is all about what do you want to get out of it and are you really going out with the H16 if the conditions are rough? I do with my kid all the time and have a blast. 250lbs is enough to right the cat especially if you have a float installed.

Edited by dwk on Apr 07, 2022 - 07:22 AM.
  • Quote I'd want to obtain a strong grasp on the carrying capacity of all of these ships.

Carrying capacity is subjective. At 250 lbs and taking out friends at the same time is a ridiculous idea for a Hobie 16. The larger of the two roto-molded Hobies (I believe it is the Escape) is a much better choice. A lot more buoyancy and a front trampoline. Even better, if you can find one, would be the Hobie 20 SC., made for family day sailing with front tramp and lots of storage.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • shortyfox
    Quote I'd want to obtain a strong grasp on the carrying capacity of all of these ships.

Carrying capacity is subjective. At 250 lbs and taking out friends at the same time is a ridiculous idea for a Hobie 16. The larger of the two roto-molded Hobies (I believe it is the Escape) is a much better choice. A lot more buoyancy and a front trampoline. Even better, if you can find one, would be the Hobie 20 SC., made for family day sailing with front tramp and lots of storage.

Or a Getaway
  • Look at a Getaway. Easy to sail and not over powered. They handle 4 people well and I had 8 people (mostly little kids) putting around.
  • I meant Getaway. I get all those rotomolded Hobies mixed up. It's 16 ft? Hobie has cornered the rental market with these, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one and try it out.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Neither the H16 nor the Wave sound ideal for what you want to do. The 16 will be pretty bogged down and the Wave will be very under-powered in anything but a strong breeze. As others have said, the Getaway is probably best suited for the type of sailing you describe. Another option might be a Hobie 18 if you’re looking for a fiberglass option. The H18 has a lot more hull volume than a H16, so quite a bit more load carrying capacity. You could also consider one of the NACRA offerings with skegs if shallow water is a concern.

sm
  • Look for a Getaway. I am also a big guy and the H16 isn’t big enough. Getting under the boom is a pain if you are bigger. I have 2 waves and they are great fun, but not a boat I would get planning to regularly sail with more than 2 adults on it. It will hold a bunch weight, but sits low in the water and won’t go very fast when loaded up with people. But between 16 and Wave, I would recommend a wave.

Edited by smfinley on Apr 10, 2022 - 08:09 PM.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • My son and I both weigh about 200 lbs, and I feel that is too much for our H16. Looking forward to sailing our Supercat 17.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.